Next weeks ads (3/30/08 US)

Like Alan suggests, there are going to be isolated situations that vary from the norm but Negritude is 100 % correct as I see it. In my section of the US I have not seen Sony branded TY in over a year in any form. Heck we don’t even see SONY MIJ period - MIT or MIM only. The Fuji branded MIJ TY (color disk collection) have been gone so long I forget when I last saw them. Never cared much for Maxell MIJ so I never look. Based on current market (here anyways) there is no need to consider anything but Verbatim at retail B&M stores - IMO.

[quote=MegaDETH;2029090]I have seen 50 packs Made in Japan but they are 16x -R

I have never seen any 25 packs MIJ at Walgreens but that doesn’t mean you won’t find any.

Thanks ripit for the ads :)[/quote]
I just returned from Walgreens, the CD-Rs that they have on sale are in fact Sony rebadged Taiyo Yudens, but they are very strange. These are 30 for 9.99 ( no bargain) and are marked CD-R Music. They even come in a 30 pack Ty Cakebox. I forgot to mention, the dye side is like an aquamarine blue color, not purple, very strange and they only burn at 24X in my BenQ DW1640.

thanks alot ripit :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=alan1476;2029533] I forgot to mention, the dye side is like an aquamarine blue color, not purple, very strange and they only burn at 24X in my BenQ DW1640.[/QUOTE]

That’s what color TY CD-R dye has been for years, I’m not sure why that’s strange :confused:

Out of curiosity, frys has a seagate 500GB pata for 90$ (online or in store). I got one price matched at circuity city (got it for 83$). Is there any way to tell on the retail kit what drive is inside without opening it (ie 7200.9/7200.10/7200.11)?

I have 50 spindles of Fuji ( Ty CD-Rs) and the dye side is not that color and they burn at 52X. I only paid 6.99 for those at K-Mart.

[QUOTE=ripit;2029613]Out of curiosity, frys has a seagate 500GB pata for 90$ (online or in store). I got one price matched at circuity city (got it for 83$). Is there any way to tell on the retail kit what drive is inside without opening it (ie 7200.9/7200.10/7200.11)?[/QUOTE]

I decided to just open it. It was a 7200.10 which should be good enough. I wonder if the 7200.11’s are really 35MBps faster like seagate claims though?

[QUOTE=alan1476;2029614]I have 50 spindles of Fuji ( Ty CD-Rs) and the dye side is not that color and they burn at 52X. I only paid 6.99 for those at K-Mart.[/QUOTE]

I’ve never seen any TY CD-Rs that were anything other than that greenish-blue color…

I admit I do not have much experience with CD-r media, but can you explain, why these only burn at 24X when the other Ty Cd-rs burn at 52X. I started another thread in the Media Forum so we dont go off-topic here.

[QUOTE=negritude;2029234]

1. Sony MIJ DVD media no longer exists at the retail level, except for 25-packs of 8x MIJ DVD+R Walgreens does not carry 8x Sony DVDs. It’s all 16x, and none of that is MIJ.
    [/QUOTE]

Not exactly true …I have 2 - 25 pack’s here of Sony 16X -R MIJ from Walgreen’s in the last 2-3 months …their not Great media but they are TY TYG03

I have yet to find any Sony TY media at a Walgreen’s.

I have had 2 TYG03 Sony 50 packs from Walgreens and they were excellent, even acceptable 20x burns.

Was at Walgreens last night and had a minute to browse the media, all the 50 packs ±R were MIT, all the 25 packs 16x-R were Made in Malaysia.

[QUOTE=DaChew;2029468]Isn’t california in north america or did it break off and slide out into the pacific[/QUOTE]

We’re talking about retail B&M, not online.

[QUOTE=MegaDETH;2030080]I have had 2 TYG03 Sony 50 packs from Walgreens and they were excellent, even acceptable 20x burns.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=MegaDETH;2030874]Was at Walgreens last night and had a minute to browse the media, all the 50 packs ±R were MIT, all the 25 packs 16x-R were Made in Malaysia.[/QUOTE]

Talk about contradicting yourself. This is what I mean. People have no sense of context. Yes, you might have found some MIJ before, but that was long ago. That’s not the situation now. Sigh. Why are folks so hard-headed?

[quote=negritude;2031036]Talk about contradicting yourself. This is what I mean. People have no sense of context. Yes, you might have found some MIJ before, but that was long ago. That’s not the situation [B]now[/B]. Sigh. Why are folks so hard-headed?[/quote]Maybe for the same reason some others are so autocratic. :iagree: