Next weeks ads (2/26/12) US

vbimport

Good morning, myce! It is once again time to take a look at this week’s in-store media roundup:

Office Depot: Memorex 16x +R and -R 50 packs, $ 14.99

Office Depot: Ativa 52x CD-R 700mb 100 packs (store closeout), $ 12.99

Staples: Memorex 16x +R and -R 25 packs, $ 10

Staples: Memorex 16x +R and -R 50 packs, $ 17.99

Staples: Memorex 16x +R and -R 100 packs, $ 26.99

Staples: Memorex 52x CD-R 700mb 100 packs, $ 19.99

Staples: Memorex 52x CD-R 700mb 50 packs, $ 11.99

Radio Shack: Gigaware 16x +R and -R 50 packs, $ 12.99

Radio Shack: Gigaware 52x CD-R 700mb 50 packs w/o spindle, $ 9.99

Best Buy: Kodak 52x CD-R 700mb 100 packs, $ 14.99

Best Buy: Kodak 4x BD-R 25 packs, $ 19.99

Best Buy: Verbatim Non-AZO Life 16x +R and -R 50 packs, $ 14.99

Best Buy: Verbatim Non-AZO 52x CD-R 700mb 50 packs, $ 11.99

Fry’s: Kodak 16x +R and -R 25 packs, $ 4.99

Walgreens: Maxell 16x +R and -R 25 packs, $ 8.99

Walgreens: Maxell 52x CD-R Music 30 packs, $ 8.99

Walgreens: Maxell 52x CD-R 700mb 50 packs, $ 8.99

Thanks bro.

Thank you Dalen

Kuda Dalen! This is the first time in recent memory that RETAIL is supplying BD-R media at REASONABLE retail prices… albeit it is Kodak media… but I can’t imagine “C” grade media would pass muster these days, since the PRIMARY use for BD-R media IS for video… right? At least those who would go looking for it at Brick and Mortar… that is…

[QUOTE=tmc8080;2624592] This is the first time in recent memory that RETAIL is supplying BD-R media at REASONABLE retail prices… albeit it is Kodak media… but I can’t imagine “C” grade media would pass muster these days, since the PRIMARY use for BD-R media IS for video… right? At least those who would go looking for it at Brick and Mortar… that is…[/QUOTE]

Kodak BD-R are PHILIPR04’s made by MBI in India. The R04’s coming from Optical Quantum have been largely junk. The R04’s that Kodak was selling early last year were decent. Increasingly, that quality has appeared to be dropping and getting more variable. Whether this is a result of Kodak choosing to specify mixing B and C grades in their purchases, or MBI cutting corners and selling lower quality media at their B grade I do not know.

You need to understand something. At the big retailer level, no one cares what you might be using them for. They are not providing a public service. They simply sell the media that makes them the most profit. They need to sell a lot of them to make that profit, and most consumers will simply buy the cheapest thing on the shelf and accept the 25% coasters they get as normal. Hey, they were cheap, right? Media experts or professionals buy their media from professional supply sources because they know that most professionals who get cr@p media from a seller will go to the trouble to return it. Its their livelihood, right? If you are doing pro duplication and a seller sells you media that leaves you with a customer that’s unhappy with your product, you don’t think “Oh well, still a good deal for the price”. You’re mad. Really, really mad. You just lost a customer.

Duplication suppliers sometimes get bit in the butt by a brand dropping their quality and leaving them with a returns nightmare. But they simply need to be far more careful about what they’re selling than Best Buy. Their bottom line and repeat purchases depends on it. If you wish to buy from someone who actually has to care whether the media they sell is suitable for your uses or not, and expects you to send back junk if they screw up, you need to be bargain shopping where professionals buy their media. That’s the reality.

I doubt even brick and mortar non-enthusiasts would accpet a 25% coaster rate/ratio. Not with a quality satisfaction guarantee that allows you to RMA discs for replacement… when the number of coasters adds up to a few dollars, that’s worth the cost of shipping them for RMA. In one sense with those customers’ it’s all about the money and value. With professional and/or enthusiasts, we analyze what media is good and put the word out on what to buy… and that’s not only good for the buyers, but it’s ultimately good for the sellers as a niche market is developed and the consumers police the market with a “consumer reports” quality report. This doesn’t always work as an ideal, but in my years of experience with DVD’s it’s helped out quite a bit. I doubt Verbatim would have kept AZO dye discs in production for so long if it weren’t for us enthusiast market consumers.