Next weeks ads (10/11/09) US

vbimport

Good morning, myce! It is time for this week’s in-store media roundup. Verbatim is on special at OM, but the sale prices are not inspiring.

Best Buy: Sony 16x +R and -R 50 packs, $ 12.99

Best Buy: Sony 48x CD-R 700mb 50 packs, $ 7.99

Office Max: Verbatim 16x +R and -R 100 packs, $ 29.99

Office Max: Verbatim 52x CD-R 700mb 100 packs, $ 19.99

Office Depot: TDK 52x CD-R 700mb 100 packs, $ 12.99

Office Depot: TDK 16x +R and -R 100 packs, $ 19.99

Fry’s: Optimum 16x +R and -R 100 packs, $ 11.99

Walgreen’s: Sony 16x +R and -R 50 packs, $ 14.99

Walgreen’s: Sony 48x CD-R music w/jewel cases 15 packs, $ 6.99

Walgreen’s: Sony 48x CD-R 700mb 30 packs, $ 6.99

Staples: Sony 16x +R and -R 100 packs, $ 24.98

Staples: Sony 16x +R and -R 50 packs, $ 14.98

Staples: Sony 48x CD-R 700mb 50 packs, $ 9.98

Staples: Sony 48x CD-R 700mb 100 packs, $ 16.98

Thanks Dalen,
budzos

Thanks

Thank you Dalen!

Mahalo Dalen!

Thanx Dalen!
I see you can save a penny at Staples on the SONY DVD 50 packs!:bigsmile:
but…Walgreens is open later! and probably closer too!

Thanks Dalen.

Thank you Dalen

Apparently there is an oversupply of CD-R as B&M seems to be pushing them more lately… even staples has the DVD/CDR 50 packs together in a deal.

In another ironic gesture by the tech indusry… blue-ray is being shunned in favor of cheaper dvd. Apparently 480p is good enough. Maybe the industry might be readying 720p divx/xvid avi playback on dvd players. (though, this will have to come from generic brands FIRST, as the brand name players are on-board with flight blue-ray). That would be a slap in the face to blue ray, now wouldn’t it? hehe

Good I say! They deserve it for all the b/s they put the industry through! The vast majority of HDTVs are 720p/1080i variety so blue ray is overkill and that makes dvd with HD-divx ripe to challenge blue-ray’s position for at least until they lower prices for equipment and media enough.

Also, aren’t B&M’s MSRP prices for dvd media getting outrageous?
$69.99 for 100pack of verbatim dvd-+r’s? WTF! Thats more than what TY’s go for online with vastly superior quality/control.

[QUOTE=tmc8080;2449419]Apparently there is an oversupply of CD-R as B&M seems to be pushing them more lately… even staples has the DVD/CDR 50 packs together in a deal.
[/QUOTE]

I don’t think there’s an oversupply of CD-R’s, the price is typically in the
$.13-.15ea range for sale media, last year it was $.10-.12 range and less of it is on sale. I think the rise of the micro players with gobs of storage has hit the market for storing music on cd’s especially hard.

Now,-off Bargain Bin Topic Mode-,
I can’t foresee the future of BD/HD and the various high compression/good quality codecs out there. With YouTube now serving HD/HQ video with H.264 compression, to say the least, getting good quality video to your friends is cheap, fast and easy. Maybe BD will take the market, maybe DVD with great codecs will, maybe the ‘disk’ as we know it will be relegated to the dustbins of ancient technology by the internet and/ or SD cards… or some combination of all the above (or something to be announced next week). Only time will tell.

As I recall there was quite a bit of discussion when the DVD was initially languishing and trying to ‘find it’s place’…

I love this stuff,
Al

PS: Thanks Dalen!

I would say that overall most of the retailers have cut back on the amount of optical media they carry – some as much as 50% over the last year (example Office Depot). One store that impresses me lately is Fry’s – they carry a huge selection of brands and their “normal” everyday prices are not ridiculous like Office Max/Office Depot. Like you say, $ 69.99 is absurd for a 100 pack. Their sale prices are usually lower, too.

The future seems to be USB thumb drives and/or flash memory. A number of new televisions have built in USB ports that will read HD Divx directly.

[QUOTE=Dalen Quaice;2449524]I would say that overall most of the retailers have cut back on the amount of optical media they carry – some as much as 50% over the last year (example Office Depot). One store that impresses me lately is Fry’s – they carry a huge selection of brands and their “normal” everyday prices are not ridiculous like Office Max/Office Depot. Like you say, $ 69.99 is absurd for a 100 pack. Their sale prices are usually lower, too.

The future seems to be USB thumb drives and/or flash memory. A number of new televisions have built in USB ports that will read HD Divx directly.[/QUOTE]

Again, reducing the quantity of discs @ b&m retail is a sign of transition. Flash media is picking up some small gains. If blue ray doesn’t begin lowering prices, they might find themselves out of the picture soon. DVDs had no direct competition other than raid configured hard drives. How much easier/cheaper is it to have a flash slot than it is a disc drive… ? The big thing is flash makers getting more GB’s of flash down to under the price of a blue-ray disc… in their race to the bottom! Bottom line-- blue ray won’t survive as a drm invested format with diverse and evolving (to HD) competition already in HD portable media devices. The only thing I can’t picture quite yet, is the vast cataloging of flash chips, instead of disc media. My point is that I’ve seen quite a few HiDef up-scaling dvd players and a scaling back of blue-ray @ retail (ok, walmart/target are my only evidence, as I dont’ step foot in best buy). I’m saying HD codecs could also come into the picture as well causing a problem for physical disc content (retail DVDs & Blue Rays). As I’ve indicated I’m old school and wand dvds to hang around for at least 5 more years while flash makes its way on the scene and destroys blue ray. One can easily see multi combo tech hanging around but only as long as dvd/vcrs were relevant. This isn’t really about us older people but about the new generation of consumers (teens & 20s). Video has already met it’s evquivilent of the mp3 for Hi-Def. Only lack of ubiquitous broadband is holding back a perfect storm of video content pilfering.

If consumers want and demand flash, then blue ray doesn’t stand a chance. I’m happy this website is diversified enough to discuss all aspects of tech/computers so it will be relevant for years to come. Though instead of ads for discs it could end up being flash chips/drives! Also, “online storage” for those with good connectivity (broadband 3.0+).

For the time being, we’re all buying disc media but we should recognize this transition is ongoing.

:slight_smile:

[QUOTE=tmc8080;2450738]The only thing I can’t picture quite yet, is the vast cataloging of flash chips, instead of disc media.[/QUOTE]

:iagree:

That’s the elephant in the room. CDs, DVDs, and Blu-Rays all use the same standard physical format of thin, flat discs, which are easily stored and stacked on top of each other. If a new physical media is going to supplant them, it’s got to improve on that.

[QUOTE=tmc8080;2450738]
If consumers want and demand flash, then blue ray doesn’t stand a chance.
:)[/QUOTE]

I really don’t see Blu-Ray standing a chance. It has ~12% of the market share at the moment, and I can’t really see it becoming mainstream anytime soon.

As I see it:

1. The vast majority of consumers just don’t care about quality beyond DVD.
    Those that do know that 4K (4096 x 2048 respectively) is now possible, and they don’t want to be stuck with Blu at 1080p.

2. There isn’t enough Blu content.

3. Blu discs are often poorly authored without menus or with poor navigation.

4. In some cases, the transfer on the DVD is as good or better.

5. People want a portable format that they can use with a portable media player – that is, something like flash chips or flash drives. I expect the actual format hasn’t arrived yet, but it will due to demand.

6. People dislike the copy protection crap on Blu. That is, BD+ and AACS.

7. Blu-Ray does not meet the criteria for new technology to sell. It isn’t better, cheaper, and smaller.