Next generation PC memory (DDR4) standard finalized - doubles speed

vbimport

I just posted the article Next generation PC memory (DDR4) standard finalized - doubles speed.

The specifications of DDR4 have been released. This is the next generation computer memory (RAM) you will find in new computers and its main advantage is that it’s faster than its predecessor DDR3.

Click to read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/next-generation-pc-memory-ddr4-standard-finalized-doubles-speed-64036/](http://www.myce.com/news/next-generation-pc-memory-ddr4-standard-finalized-doubles-speed-64036/)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

But will it run Crysis?

On a serious note, this is great. I’m looking to upgrade soon, but not sure I want Ivy Bridge with its crappy TIM or wait for Haswell. I have a feeling this won’t be ready in time for Haswell.

They don’t expect volume production of DDR4 until 2015.

Haswell just like Sandy Bridge and Ivy bridge will have an integrated memory controller, and from what is known about Haswell, its DDR3. Haswell EX, however is said to have DDR4 support.

That means another year or two to wait for a new PC

We’ve got two new AMD motherboard chipsets arriving shortly, so they won’t benefit from it. The nearness of the Haswell CPU and chipset rules it out, too.

So, yes, that “24-month” possibility is probably closer to a good implementation. The first generations are usually hobbled somehow - “a single stick of 256k DDR4 can run twice as fast but won’t enable dual-channel, and multiple sticks require speed reductions” - that’s been the history of first-delivered memory controllers.

They’ll probably deliver a first-gen in 12 months? Then sometime after that, the good implementations arrive and finally the Real Ones.

There’s always hope, though. It always reminds me of my favorite American poem…

[I]Oh, somewhere in this favored land the sun is shining bright;
The band is playing somewhere, and somewhere hearts are light,
And somewhere men are laughing, and somewhere children shout;
But there is no joy in Mudville…[/I]

I would have thought the rest of the memory market would have skipped DDR4 and gone right to DDR5 like GPU/Video Card RAM did. Wasn’t the reasoning at the time that DDR5 was so similar to DDR4 that it made sense to skip it.

My next build is 3 years out anyway (2015)… however, ddr4 will have to prove itself… if they start with cas 8 performance, that’s good… because cas 20 is out of the question, even at 5000mhz memory…

• People don’t want to be confused with Video card memory-- not something you can upgrade in 99% of video cards, to DDR memory which you buy and can upgrade in mem sticks… What it’s ultimately called is irrelevant (just don’t call it rambus memory, lol).

The MARKETING ploy for ddr4 will be that since MANY computers are running STOCK GPUs on the cpu, that it’s important to have FASTER bandwidth memory to support it!
While they’re right… will it justify a certain EARLY ADOPTER PREMIUM on both mb/'s AND the chips themselves??? Probably not…I"m hoping they don’t muck it up… make the bus the same and render boards backwards compatible to ddr3… I’ve never liked proprietary junk and a new socket everytime Intel runs out of toilet paper…

[QUOTE=tmc8080;2656841]My next build is 3 years out anyway (2015)… however, ddr4 will have to prove itself… if they start with cas 8 performance, that’s good… because cas 20 is out of the question, even at 5000mhz memory…

• People don’t want to be confused with Video card memory-- not something you can upgrade in 99% of video cards, to DDR memory which you buy and can upgrade in mem sticks… What it’s ultimately called is irrelevant (just don’t call it rambus memory, lol).

The MARKETING ploy for ddr4 will be that since MANY computers are running STOCK GPUs on the cpu, that it’s important to have FASTER bandwidth memory to support it!
While they’re right… will it justify a certain EARLY ADOPTER PREMIUM on both mb/'s AND the chips themselves??? Probably not…I"m hoping they don’t muck it up… make the bus the same and render boards backwards compatible to ddr3… I’ve never liked proprietary junk and a new socket everytime Intel runs out of toilet paper…[/QUOTE]

I don’t think DDR4 will ever reach speeds higher than 4GHz. That is because of the limit of silicone chips is 4000MHz or 4GHz. 5000MHz is probably not possible.

I don’t think I will be forced to upgrade to DDR4 to enjoy new CPUs until maybe another two years…I am currently using a Gigabyte P55-USB3 mobo with Lynnfield i7-860 CPU and 16GB Gskill Ripjawz DDR3-1600 memory and even with Haswell I can use the same ram if I upgrade…

I applaud a new memory standard, and new CPU families.

Not that I have any intention og buying them.

But it will make the two generation older hardware more economical as the early adopters and the “gotta have the newest” people rush to the new stuff and they all have limited closet space:)

here is an article from xbit labs —> http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/memory/display/20120404214706_Intel_to_Start_DDR4_Usage_with_Server_Platforms_in_2014.html

that’s cool

a bit expensive at the current date!

[QUOTE=macnavarra;2749608]a bit expensive at the current date![/QUOTE]

guess the dead rises up again…

but as anything … most everyday users will notice nothing in real performance beyond the diehard OC and tweakers will the real value come in.

A RAM with DDR4 technology is monstrous, but so is the current price.