Next Android version may break root apps

We’ve just posted the following news: Next Android version may break root apps[newsimage]http://static.myce.com//images_posts/2014/01/Android-Thumbnail.png[/newsimage]

Root apps may no longer work warns root app developer

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/next-android-version-may-break-root-apps-70292](http://www.myce.com/news/next-android-version-may-break-root-apps-70292)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

i thought Android was free and open source. if so, why would Google want to do something like this? is it going to go down the road of others and once successful try to lock it down, forbidding access? i hope there isn’t going to be a repeat of the Sony disgrace, where people used something, even paid good money for it only to have it removed and that decision upheld by a thick judge who considered it more important to have a company able to do what it wants and for customers get screwed, as usual and in the pocket!

Which apps would be nice to know.
It might be a handful of apps that aren’t that useful.

Root access is not default for Android, and is therefore not guaranteed.
Samsung already use an e-fuse on their newest devices, and if custom firmware is installed, it void warranty. Even obvious hardwares faulfs will be denied service if the e-fuse had been tripped.

Chainfire’s article about this is still available at:

I don’t think this means the end for root, which is something I think people will assume if they don’t read the posts by various developers. They’re expecting that this is only a minor speed bump, not a major hurdle. Given that they know about it beforehand, it shouldn’t be a huge issue.

But it is nice to be informed about this so you can prepare to update your root applications and/or defer Android software updates and/or support the plucky developers who work hard to keep things going smoothly.

Of course, unless you are the owner of a Nexus device (or a recent Motorola device, or Google Play edition device), you might not be running with the latest and greatest OS version before all this becomes a non-issue.

Plus, I agree with debro regarding the state of Android and the few apps maybe not even being needed. (And I’m rocking one of the Samsung devices about which he speaks). Everything for which I needed root access in the past has become slowly integrated as a core feature, excepting for tethering which bypasses the carrier (but there have apparently been clever developments in that area since the last time I absolutely NEEDED just a brief burst of tethering).

[QUOTE=SteveJC;2717433]Chainfire’s article about this is still available at:
https://plus.google.com/+Chainfire/posts/Lyhjzu1z9s1[/QUOTE]

Hey thanks for that SteveJC, much appreciated. :cool:

[B]Wombler[/B]

I’m having a hard time being surprised at this announcement, considering that even non-root app functionality breaks during even the slightest revision of Android. MX Player, a common video player app, has broken a few times due to updates in the span I’ve used it. SuperSU has been broken more times than it’s been fine right after an update.

With that being said, I bet rooters will probably figure it out.

[QUOTE=kevpc;2717296]i thought Android was free and open source. if so, why would Google want to do something like this?[/QUOTE]

I do believe this is what they call tivoizing… installing digital locks (which the users don’t have the metaphoric keys to) into “Free” (as in freedom) Software, therefore being able to claim freedom while forcing totalitarianism.

I’m sure hackers/crackers will always be able to find ways to get around this bulls–t. Until then, the users are screwed, as per usual.

The good news, however, is that users aren’t really “free” to update Android versions in most cases, which means they won’t be affected by this “update”.

Of course, they could do so if they had the freedom to root their devices in a simple straight-forward way, without needing to spend several days or more trying to figure out how to crack the O/S (assuming they even have the skills), but the arguement that devices should come “root-able” is another topic.

I think this probably has more to do with ANTI software piracy since a ton of apps allow circumvented security when settings can allow code to break open trial apps which convert to fully paid versions. In essence making Android comply FULLY with the DMCA… which is probably has other o/s companies like Apple & Microsoft giggling all the way (they hope) to the bank…

However, I wouldn’t count this as a fully negative thing… hackers are uniquely resourceful bunch… This will fall back on various custom hardware & software variations to see which will be the tablet MFG of choice… this often happened with other hardware… Ahem, gaming consoles to name one (going back to the later 80s onward). .

It the fact that the update will potentially block access to an area of memory that a lot of rooted apps use that will cause the problems.

There are however ways around this but the apps will have to be updated and certain sections of the code may have to be completely rewritten.

[B]Wombler[/B]

Uh, to bad if they remove that option.

The reason to root something (as with linux / unix) is to add / install stuff that is needed for your device, like NTFS support and other nice stuff. Once that is done can you not un-root the device ?

If they want to protect the operating system, they should fix something like this for android, so people can add what they need, once done they could then run like normal user.

I don’t think it’s deliberately to break anything, just for security reasons.

There are workarounds it’s just that certain apps will need updated.

[B]Wombler[/B]