News: sony purchased all the stack

vbimport

sony optiarc is now wholly owned by sony

http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News/Details.aspx?NewsId=23966

Hopefully this won’t change anything in regards to their products, because NEC is the one with all the optical drive engineering know-how. Sony hasn’t produced a drive on their own in years, and isn’t likely to start now.

Wow, even with how much I say I like Sony, a voice in my head screamed “NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!”…I hope this doesn’t result in a great failure of Optiarc after they finally had another set of winning drives.

First of all the transfer is expected for December and second point is there’s on sentence in their announcement that still gives hope:

NEC will continue to contribute to the advancement of Sony NEC Optiarc Inc.’s optical disc drive products through the LSI development being carried out at NEC Electronics Corporation.

Oh, okay…that has me less worried, then. :slight_smile:

Personally i would be more worried if NEC chipsets are still made available to OEM’s, such as Pioneer.

Some people might also say this puts Sony in a very strong position, as NEC currently have the most advanced single chip Blu-ray solution. :wink:

[QUOTE=Dee-27;2125380]Personally i would be more worried if NEC chipsets are still made available to OEM’s, such as Pioneer.[/QUOTE]

Why?

ooops :o
It should have read…

Personally i would be more worried if NEC chipsets are [B]not[/B] made available to OEM’s, such as Pioneer.