Newly Installed LG 4163B not working?

Hello people…

Today I pulled out my LIteOne 4 speed DVD CD burner and put in my new LG 4163B DVD because I read in other forums its the best at the moment…??

I plugged it into the same leads as the old one was… (Double checked…)

When I restarted XP pro came up as normal and ‘found new hardware’ a couple of minutes later another baloon came up ‘found CD Rom’… What didnt come up as with other installs is the baloon ’ your new hardware is installed and now ready for use.

When I put the CD with the bundle of software in, the green light came on the DVD for a few minutes and then stopped.

The CD did not start…

Went to my computor which showed a DVD RAM drive E and a DVD Drive I…

But no CD. Put a game in did not start…

Went to system and device manager which shows this device is working properly…

Uninstalled and rebooted… same thing…

I cannot here the drive at all after I put in a CD …or DVD for that matter…

I guess the green light means its got power…???

Please, if any one can help???

Use a proper burning app for testing the drive capabilities and forget about those autostart crap…
What software have you used?

Boot -> install new hardware -> reboot -> use it.

Or, reinstall Windows XP.

Thanks for that…

I only know how to put the CD’s and DVD’s in and I expect them to start. Anything more and I’m lost.

I have Alcohol 120% 195 2802… Clone DVD V2094 . and Clone CD installed.

After I put the CD in there is no sound at all except the green light flashes…
I expected it to be quieter than the LiteOn but not this quiet!!!

There’s no sound if the drive is not rotating which means your Windows XP is not “commanding” your drive to read the CD.

Try again step by step. Use software like Nero Burning Rom (simply because it’s most widely used.) Some small utility programs like CD Speed and Nero Infotool are useful to see if your drives are ready for use. (Both are installed when you install Nero Burning Rom.)

After installing the hardware (in Windows XP), reboot and then run Nero Infotool.

Thanks ken,

I’ll try and uninstall and switch off and then restart… If that doesn’t work then I will put the old drive back in…So I can install NERO which came with the bundled sofware…

If XP is not commanding the drive… Then what is CD speed going to do about it???

No, I meant install and reboot, not uninstall and reboot. (Or uninstall, reboot, install, and reboot.)

Usually rebooting is not necessary after installing new HDDs or ODDs though, but just to make sure, it’s better to reboot.

CD Speed can’t do anything if Windows OS can’t command the burner hardware. I recommended Nero CD Speed and Nero Infotool because their files are very small (under 1MB) and are very often used for identifying and testing optical drives.

Okay…

I have uninstalled the LG. switched off and taken it out… I put the old LIteon back in and restarted…

Now the same thing is happening with the Liteon new hardware detected etc… but it doesn’t come up with ’ your new hardware is installed and ready for use’ … green light comes on when I put a CD in and nothing…

WTF’s going on…??

Now I can’t even install the Nero that came with the LG burner on a bundled CD to try it… because both DVD’s don’t fking work…

AAAAHHAHAAAAAHHAHHHHH

Help

Patience. :slight_smile:

It seems to me that auto-play is switched off.

Open explorer , find drive E and double click on it. It should then show you it’s contents.

Check device manager in Control Panel and see if the devices are showing up, if the ide’s are showing up, and if the drives are in DMA mode.

Thanks guys…

I go to device manager and both drives show up… I don’t know how to check for the DMA thing.

When I double click on the drive after going into my computor it comes up saying please insert a CD… This comes up even when a CD is in the drive…

I know I am missing a very basic step…

After I have connected up the LG and then restart…is the balloon supposed to come up and say your new hardware is installed and ready for use???

If not, am I supposed to go into device manager and right click on the Drives listed. eg. CD ROM and DVD drives and then click ’ Install’???

Because I don’t think I have done it that way… I think I have gone there and clicked on ‘uninstall’ and then rebooted …(thinking that the balloon and XP will install it automatically)

I am at work now but I will stress out some more tonight and try your suggestions again…I have to because I still have my old liteon connected and I’ve got to get that going tooo… At least I now know that its not a faulty LG 4163B…!!!

I appreciate your help…

i doubt dma is related to the problem anyway heres a dma enabling guide http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=101616

yes the ballon should show up with “new hardware is installed and ready for use”
however only on first time you connect the drive,no ballon will appear again for that peice of hardware if youll disconnect/reconnect it or remove from device manager and restart

no you shouldnt install any optical drive manually ,windows have its generic drives for it and always detects em automatically

try the folowing :
a) obtain & install latest motherboard chipset driver

b) in device manager expand “ide ata/atapi controllers” right click the ide channel the drive is on and click “uninstall” and restart,in the unlikely event you dont know on what ide channel its on use nero infotool (see link down) and look in configuration tab

nero infotool may provide useful info get it from
ftp://ftp6.nero.com/InfoTool.zip
click the floppy icon and click save,open the saved file and copy & paste

Guys…

Thanks for the suggestions…

I have come home from work and read the small fine print on the instructions.
It says

'Install the supplied CD DVD recording Software before using this unit" Please uninstall any previous CD burning software in order to prevent possible compatibility issues."

" once you have installed the software you may re install the previous software."

Now before you have a go at me I did read that before but presumed that you had to install the bloody burner first before you can use it to install the bundled software.!!

However I came home and uninstalled Alcohol 120 and Any DVD and rebooted.

LG 4163B now is working great…!! Yahooooo

I am sorry to have mucked you guys around though but thanks…

I wonder if this can be remembered somewhere in your forum for any other dumbo’s like me…??

Thanks guys…

Hm, remember what I posted in this thread?

Good that it works now.

Thanks Chef.

I thought I fixed it last night but hey?? It is working fine as long as I don’t reload Alcohol 120 or Any DVD…

When I do, the same original problem persists…

As we all know one cannot live without Any DVD… Maybe Alcohol but not AnyDVD… I must work out why the LG is conflicting with those…

Hmm Maybe roll back driver???

What do you reckon.??

I have searched the threads but can’t find a similar problem…

I have XP PRO SP2…

As I posted before it just looks like autorun/play is switched off. There are settings in both Alcohol & Anydvd that relate to that.
If you get Tweakui from Microsoft (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx) you can check & adjust these settings (under My Computer in Tweakui). It’s handy for other things as well.

Thanks TimC

I removed some drivers, reinstalled both alcohol and anydvd and everything now works.

I checked the auto run and both are on…I didn’t check before I uninstalled them the first time so I will never know whether it was the autorun or the drivers conflicting.

I am never going to touch them again…!!

Thanks for all your help guys.