Newly developed cheap aluminium battery fully charged within a minute

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Newly developed cheap aluminium battery fully charged within a minute[newsimage]http://static.myce.com//images_posts/2015/04/myce-aliminium-battery-95x75.jpg[/newsimage]

Researchers of the American University of Standford have developed a cheap battery using aluminium instead of lithium which can be charged very fast.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/new-developed-cheap-aluminium-battery-fully-charged-within-a-minute-75659/](http://www.myce.com/news/new-developed-cheap-aluminium-battery-fully-charged-within-a-minute-75659/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

I wonder how the energy density compares with lead-acid batteries.

Even if it’s far behind Lithium Ion, if they can get it to match lead-acid, that would make a potential replacement for car batteries, considering bad batteries tend to be the main cause of cars breaking down.

It’s similar for UPS back-up units. Even the big name brands such as APC use sealed lead-acid (SLA) batteries, which generally only last a few years before they must be replaced. SLA batteries cannot be fast charged either, so having a fast charge-up time is ideal for cascaded power failures where the power comes up for a few minutes, then goes out again for another hour, etc.

Very promising. I look forward to the day when we use only electric vehicles.

Or plastic batteries.

The problem with lithium ion batteries for electric vehicles is cost .
They run about $30000.00 US each .
One of the vehicles I’ve read about that has good performance uses 2.
Then the cost of the car itself.
Makes it way out of my budget.

Looks promising especially as a replacement for Lithium Ion in Automotive applications.
Lithium being one of the most toxic substances on Earth.
As for Electric Cars in general, the faster they’re banned the better.
Until we can produce “Clean” Electricity, how many kilometers to the Tonne (of coal)
does your Electric Car get?

In the US there is an abundant supply of natural gas that can produce electricity.
It almost a waste product in Alaska north drilling.
They pump it back into old oil wells because they don’t have a way to get it to the US.
This wastes a lot of it.

In many parts of the US wind energy could easily charge an electric car.

Electric cars will be a great advancement for a number of reasons. First is that nearly all fluids will be eliminated in the drive train. No more engine oil, antifreeze, transmission fluid or power steering fluid will be needed. Think of the environmental benefits of not having these fluids leaked onto roads/driveways that in turn get washed into waterways. Wear on brake pads will be reduced due to regenerative braking etc. Maintenance items on an all electric car will approach zero.

The internal combustion engine is highly inefficient in that less than 25% of the energy in gasoline/diesel is converted to mechanical energy. Most of the energy it lost as heat in the exhaust. Power plants are far more efficient, especially nuclear and hydroelectric plants. Additionally, thermal based power plants are run at full tilt 24 hours a day as it isn’t possible for them to cool down and then be heated up between high and low demand periods. At night, they can produce far more electricity than actual demand. This is when most electric cars can be recharged allowing the excess capacity to be used for something.

IMO, the only thing holding back electric cars is battery technology. If a battery existed that can give 300+ miles on a charge and recharge to 85-90% capacity in less than 10 minutes, then we would see a deluge of these vehicles for sale. Other than batteries the technology exists today for reliable and affordable electric lite vehicles.

Also, electricity is a form of energy that is easily transported and generated. Think of all the energy that it takes to distribute gas and diesel to service stations. Electric cars will be a boon to society when battery technology is sufficient to provide acceptable range and recharge times.

[QUOTE=olddancer;2751608]Lithium being one of the most toxic substances on Earth.[/QUOTE] Not really. The lethal dose (LD50) is close to that of lead.
Lithium in metallic form is highly reactive, however. And don’t even think of pouring water on metallic lithium.

I agree with UTR & if they would build natural gas electric plants in north Alaska then just run electric lines to the continental US.

I think that electric cars would still use a lot of the fluids.
Most people would still want an automatic transmission so fluid for that.
Antifreeze for a heating system for the car unless you want to drive in a cold car.
Maybe an electric element heater could be used. But how fast would that drain the battery ?
A small pump for antifreeze would use a lot less & the electric motor will generate heat.
I think you will find most people want power steering as well but that might be possible to do with a electric assist instead of hydraulic.
There would still be a need for lubricants but far less & no need to change often.

The battery is the main drawback.

Another problem is air conditioning . I would like to see this done with technology like the electric “ice chests” use . The kind that can be plugged into a cars cigarette lighter & generate cold. These have no compressor.

Battery technology is the one thing that severely needs to catch up with other technologies as the charging times and frequency of charging associated with modern smartphones is getting ridiculous.

I remember the time when I only had to charge my phone once a fortnight and I’d like at least some of that convenience back.

I want my phone to last a fortnight on standby and at least a few days in heavy use.

Whether that ever happens or not though seems to be in the hands of the battery developers unless several other ultra low power use new technologies come into being simultaneously.

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=cholla;2751618]I think you will find most people want power steering as well but that might be possible to do with a electric assist instead of hydraulic.[/QUOTE] Electromechanical (electric) power steering already exists.

Personally I think that electric cars is the wrong solution, and that hydrogen would be the more practical choice, but it’s going to take a long time before something replaces petrol/diesel-power for the mainstream car user.

The problem with hydrogen is the amount of space to tank(tanks) take.
At least to go an acceptable distance.

We need Professor Browns Mr. Fusion. :wink:

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2751626]Electromechanical (electric) power steering already exists.

Personally I think that electric cars is the wrong solution, and that hydrogen would be the more practical choice, but it’s going to take a long time before something replaces petrol/diesel-power for the mainstream car user.[/QUOTE]

Hydrogen has a lot of issues when used as a mass fuel source. Compressed hydrogen for use in vehicles is stored between 5,000-10,000 psi. I would be very uneasy driving around with a tank at this pressure as it would be horrendous to be around if it ever exploded. Ever see a hot water heater explode at 300-350 psi? Imagine that same tank at 10,000 psi! Then there is the issue of tanker trucks running around with 10,000 gallon loads of hydrogen at 10,000 psi. I don’t think hydrogen will ever be a practical replacement for current fossil fuels.

Electricity, on the other hand, is easy to transport, generate at millions of locations and from a variety of other power sources etc. It is also an easy energy type to share where millions of power generators can feed the power grid in addition to megawatt power plants. Electricity is also a versatile power source in that it can be used without pollution at the consumption source, is renewable resource friendly and we have over 100 years of technology behind its use.

It is going to be quite a while before fossil fuels are replaced as a main fuel source. Having Mother Nature do all the hard work in the creation of fossil fuels makes them very economical to produce and use. Plus, we have a mind numbing amount of fossil fuels available to us and more reserves are being discovered as technology advances. There is more methane hydrate on the ocean floors than all other forms of fossil fuel combined and we haven’t even begun to tap that resource.

To me electric powered lite cars/trucks are the logical successor to gas/diesel powered lite vehicles. It is the only alternative we have that we are set up to use without much additional infrastructure or technological breakthroughs required other than battery advancements.

“Personally I think that electric cars is the wrong solution, and that hydrogen would be the more practical choice, but it’s going to take a long time before something replaces petrol/diesel-power for the mainstream car user.”

Hate to tell you this but Hydrogen is perhaps the worst alternative to gasoline that exists. While it burns clean, the power to store it in any sort of useable quantities is horrendous. It takes more power to compress and cyrogenically cool hydrogen to a liquid, than the consumption of the fuel returns. A Baldwin locomotive is greener than any hydrogen car.

Until we get both battery technology that offers high capacity and light weight AND find environmentally friendly ways to commercially produce electricity, gasoline (as enviromentally unfriendly as it is) still offers the best combination of energy density, storage and environmental impact.

For you electric buffs out there, take into consideration that 30%-50% of the power that a generating station produces is lost to resistance between the station and the end user, There are further losses converting that power from AC to DC and in the charging process of any battery. An electric vehicle also does not shed any of it’s substantial weight as it’s fuel/power is consumed. A dead battery weighs the same as a charged battery.

Anxiously waiting for Professor Brown and his Mr. Fusion.

TBH electric cars haven’t had a major mainstream impact so far but having watched a programme recently detailing Tesla’s plans for a mass produced budget electric car I think it’s quite possible things will change.

[B]Wombler[/B]

you would need a seriously high voltage and amperage to fill a 20 kWh battery in a minute, dangerously instant death is done wrong high

[QUOTE=rexroach;2751768]you would need a seriously high voltage and amperage to fill a 20 kWh battery in a minute, dangerously instant death is done wrong high[/QUOTE]
That would only be 1.2 MegaWatts… you’d need a 1000 times that to perform time-travel in a DeLorean. :smiley:

Researchers were initially looking for relacements for apparently toxic nickel metal hydride batteries which have reached a plateau in their development. The key breakthrough was refining the cathode materials, then tweaking the consumable was the next logical step. I can’t wait for a AA/AAA battery that can be recharged thousands of times in 15 mins or less and 4x the capacity of today’s batteries.Â

Someday I hope I can get an electric car hybrid… the tech sounds promising… and the possibly to boost a charge from someone’s outlet sounds fun too (plugin hybids). Hydrogen will be a long term solution and toyota will lead the way… they’ve made the engine gasoline/hydrogen/flex fuel compatible… go figure… they KNOW that there isn’t always a hydrogen station nearby and they wouldn’t sell many vehicles if they couldn’t get fuel to them. Just expect this to go slow… perhaps your children will wonder why those old people used gasoline only engines for so damn long… just like back in the old days they used LEADED fuel to allegedly prolong the engine lifespans but making those growing up in the 70s dumber than a stump due to lead contamination!