Newly Burned CD Won't Play Properly

vbimport

I have just ripped a CD to my hard drive via EAC 1.0.3 then burned it to a blank CD using ImgBurn 2.4.3. The CD appears to have burned fine and plays back fine with the exception that it doesn’t play the tracks in sequence (i.e. Track 1, then Track 2, Track 3 etc.) If the burned CD is played without any intervention, it simply plays whatever track it is on over and over again without moving on to the next one as a normal CD would.

I have discovered that the same thing happens if I play back the tracks (files) in the hard drive folder which were used as the ImgBurn source. That makes me think that the problem is probably actually with the way the CD was ripped and not a problem with ImgBurn per se.

I used the following process to rip the CD via EAC. First, I ran “Action/Detect Gaps” then “Action/Create Cue Sheet (Create CUE Sheet… Multiple WAV Files With Gaps… (Noncompliant)”. I saved the cue sheet output to my EAC output folder for the album then ran “Action/Text & Copy Selected Tracks” (compressed for .flac). I also have the default of “Append gaps to previous track” selected.

I can’t find anything here that I think I should have done differently so I wonder if anyone here has any suggestions as to what the problem might be. Also, is there any way I can salvage this CD to do what I want it to or will it have to be re-ripped and re-burned. Thanks for any help.

I haven’t used the method you do but maybe this is the problem :
Multiple WAV Files With Gaps… (Noncompliant)”
When you are "“Action/Text & Copy Selected Tracks” (compressed for .flac)"
The are no .wav files are there ?
The actual files you are creating are .FLAC .

Are you using the EAC cue sheet with ImgBurn ?
I don’t know if that would work.
I create my .cue with ImgBurn from whatever audio files I’m using.
Then write(burn) that with ImgBurn.

There is an ImgBurn how to & I did it so long ago I don’t remember if ImgBurn does .FLAC without the .FLAC codec & knowing where to locate it.
This is an old guide but I think it is still the one to follow.

Maybe LIGHTNING UK! will post if there is a newer or better one.
And if it still applies to the newer versions.

Could your CD player be set to repeat (loop) a single track?

You have the EAC part OK except you are doing too much.
No need to create a cuesheet if you are going to use ImgBurn to do it anyway.
You need to add : Database pulldown : Remote Metadata Provider or
for older version : Get CD information from Remote freedb
You may already do that but this will name the songs for the tracks.
Action tab: Detect Gaps
Check mark to append gaps to previous track.(This will remain checked unless it is unchecked.)
Edit pulldown: Select all
copy tracks compressed to a .FLAC folder.

This is how I have EAC set for .FLAC :

-8 -V -T “artist=%artist%” -T “title=%title%” -T “album=%albumtitle%” -T “date=%year%” -T “tracknumber=%tracknr%” -T “genre=%genre%” %source% -o %dest%

ImgBurn : Tools/Create Cue File

Browse for a folder/Select all files .

Highlight Disc first & Name . Custom in CD Text.
You need to toggle to “Tag” & back to “Custom”.
Highlight each track & do the same.
This will copy the name to the CD Text area.
If you want all caps you will need to type then instead.
Your burning drive also has to have write CD text capability.
To select names use “Custom” in each box as in image:

I don’t name Session.
The Select “OK” .
Open the Cue in Write Mode if ImgBurn doesn’t automatically do this for you.
Select the “Write” button.

[QUOTE=cholla;2733083]You have the EAC part OK except you are doing too much.
No need to create a cuesheet if you are going to use ImgBurn to do it anyway.
You need to add : Database pulldown : Remote Metadata Provider or
for older version : Get CD information from Remote freedb
You may already do that but this will name the songs for the tracks.
Action tab: Detect Gaps
Check mark to append gaps to previous track.(This will remain checked unless it is unchecked.)
Edit pulldown: Select all
copy tracks compressed to a .FLAC folder.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the feedback. I discovered that I could solve my problem by changing the way I used EAC. I had setup EAC according to the EAC “SETUP GUIDE” which was written by caaok and is available from a number of websites. I did the ripping according to his “RIPPING GUIDE” which is part of his set of guides. For whatever reason, his settings didn’t work for me.

I went ahead and re-configured EAC for beginner’s mode and under action, I selected “test and copy image”, letting Imgburn create the .cue sheet as you recommended. This setting produced a CD image file, which is what I was looking for and works fine for me. This has created a new problem for me however in that occasionally, the image file created is missing the first track of the original album and I haven’t been able to figure out why. The cue sheet for the image contains all of the tracks but the output image doesn’t. This doesn’t occur on all CD’s and I am stumped as to what to do to solve that problem.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2733064]Could your CD player be set to repeat (loop) a single track?[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the response. Yes, I have decided that must be where the problem lies. I have 3 different media players on my system (Windows Media Player, Winamp, and VLC Media Player) and it’s probably just a matter now of isolating the particular setting that is causing this to happen.

I don’t remember ever using “test and copy image” .
I’m giving Copy image & create cue a try.
I also found that EAC doesn’t create a Cue file that works with .FLAC files if EAC is used to write(burn) the CD. The Cue file created by EAC only works with .wav & .mp3 .
I did some Googling & there is a plugin that say it works for this but it seemed like a PITA.
There is also supposed to be a batch file that corrects the EAC .cue file for .flac . I got a no longer available or found message. So maybe it is out there somewhere.
I’ve been playing with EAC some today . It’s beeen a while & I’m a bit rusty.

I have a guess as to why the first track doesn’t work all the time…
The first track is usually zero gap & the rest a 2 second gap .
Some CDs may have a 2 second gap on the first track.
That might through the image off.
On the problem ones give " Burst" mode a try .( Don’t use that for most copies though.) You might also play around with the Gap detection method & accuracy.

@ Tumbleweed 1,
Did you also try a different .flac commandline in EAC?
For me personally,this 1 works better than the default 1 from the ripping guide:

-8 -V -T "ARTIST=%artist%" -T "TITLE=%title%" -T "ALBUM=%albumtitle%" -T "DATE= %year%" -T "TRACKNUMBER=%tracknr%" -T "TOTALTRACKS=%numtracks%" -T "GENRE=%genre%" -T "ALBUMARTIST=%albumartist%" -T "ALBUM ARTIST= %albumartist%" -T "COMMENT=EAC Secure Mode, Test & Copy, AccurateRip, FLAC -8" %source%

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I finally have gotten everything to work properly, just as I wanted in order to clone a CD. First of all, I decided to try simplifying the entire process. I ignored Caaoc’s “EAC Ripping Guide” then changed the .flac command line to the one recommended in “Roadworker’s” post. I then used the “Cmd” icon on the left side of the EAC window instead of the selections in the “Action” menu that Caaoc had suggested. I also ignored the cue sheet process in EAC as “Cholla” had recommended earlier and created the cue sheet in Imgburn.

This process wrote the same list of .flac files to my output folder that I had been getting on my previous rips but this time I treated them as a file image and not the list of files which I had been treating them as previously. I then let ImgBurn create the cue sheet and selected the “Write image files to disc” button on Imgburn instead of the “Write files/folders to disc” which I had been using previously. This now creates the CD clone that I was looking for without any other problems (such as dropped tracks, etc.)

Overall, I have found both the program commands and documents for both EAC and Imgburn to be confusing however. On the EAC side for example, why would it occur to anyone that they should press the “CMD” icon (and not the .IMG icon) when they wanted to produce a .flac IMAGE file?

The same goes for the Imgburn side of things. Why would it occur to anyone that they should press the “Write Image file to disc” (and not "Write files/folders to disc) when they wanted to write what is really a list of files (and not a single image file) to a disc.

The bottom line is that all of the confusion, for me at least stems from the fact that the “cd image” file produced by EAC and inputted to Imgburn is really a list of files (in this case .flac files) and not one large single .flac file as I had previously thought. To me, this is completely different than burning a DVD image where the input to the burning program really IS one large input file (.ISO) file and not a list of files.

[QUOTE=Tumbleweed1;2733242]
changed the .flac command line to the one recommended in “Roadworker’s” post. [/QUOTE]
I could have a better understanding of the command line parameters for FLAC than I do. I looked mine over & I think I have one useless command which is " -o %dest% " ( without the quotes). I couldn’t find it in the list of flac commands so I will be removing it.
roadworker’s does a bit more than mine for “tagging” purposes & adds a “Comment” . Where it counts they are the same.

I then used the “Cmd” icon on the left side of the EAC window .[/QUOTE]
The icon actually is “CMP” . It is the “Copy selected tracks compressed” command . This is the same as using :
Action/Copy Selected Tracks/Compressed…

This process wrote the same list of .flac files to my output folder that I had been getting on my previous rips but this time I treated them as a file image and not the list of files which I had been treating them as previously. [/QUOTE]
I didn’t understand this very well.
The actual .FLAC file names are what ImgBurn creates the .cue from.
It references that location for the actual files in the ImgBurn.cue .
Neither is an image file.

I then let ImgBurn create the cue sheet and selected the “Write image files to disc” button on Imgburn instead of the “Write files/folders to disc” which I had been using previously. [/QUOTE]
I rarely use ImgBurn in “Ez-mode Picker” . In Tools/Settings/Events Start up is set to “Write” mode.
“Write image files to disc” button = “Write” mode . I posted to use “Write” mode in my posts #2 & 4 .

“Write files/folders to disc” = “Build” mode. This creates an .iso file.

This now creates the CD clone that I was looking for without any other problems (such as dropped tracks, etc.) [/QUOTE]
Glad you figured it out .

Overall, I have found both the program commands and documents for both EAC and Imgburn to be confusing however. On the EAC side for example, why would it occur to anyone that they should press the “CMD” icon (and not the .IMG icon) when they wanted to produce a .flac IMAGE file? [/QUOTE]
As explained above no image file was created.What you have are individual .flac files for each title(song) on the CD . ImgBurn used these from the instructions in the .cue to write (burn) the Audio CD.

The same goes for the Imgburn side of things. Why would it occur to anyone that they should press the “Write Image file to disc” (and not "Write files/folders to disc) when they wanted to write what is really a list of files (and not a single image file) to a disc. [/QUOTE]
Again ImgBurn uses a .cue file for this . a .cue file isn’t an image file.

The bottom line is that all of the confusion, for me at least stems from the fact that the “cd image” file produced by EAC and inputted to Imgburn is really a list of files (in this case .flac files) and not one large single .flac file as I had previously thought. [/QUOTE]
I hope I’ve cleared the confusion some.

To me, this is completely different than burning a DVD image where the input to the burning program really IS one large input file (.ISO) file and not a list of files. [/QUOTE]
Not exactly . Mount a DVD.iso in Virtual CloneDrive by slysoft. Then “Open” it in the virtual drive.
What is in the DVD.iso will look like a real DVD Opened in a DVD drive.

[QUOTE=cholla;2733252]

The icon actually is “CMP” . It is the “Copy selected tracks compressed” command . This is the same as using :
Action/Copy Selected Tracks/Compressed…[/QUOTE]

You are correct. That and the references to .CMD later in my post are typos on my part. .CMP is what I meant to say.

I’m new here so I’d like to say Hello to everyone!