Newest firmware for -SHW-160P6S?

Okay, I’ve spent some time reviewing the site and I’m just not sure what the latest fixed firmware is for Liteon DVD writer. It’s a SHW-160P6S and I’m currently running the PS0C release. Is that the latest release that works on this drive or is there a later version. I see a PS05 version but I’m not sure if it is newer than PS0C or not.

[QUOTE=nanoflower;1946972]Okay, I’ve spent some time reviewing the site and I’m just not sure what the latest fixed firmware is for Liteon DVD writer. It’s a SHW-160P6S and I’m currently running the PS0C release. Is that the latest release that works on this drive or is there a later version. I see a PS05 version but I’m not sure if it is newer than PS0C or not.[/QUOTE]I use PSOC myself but what ever works for you.

[QUOTE=nanoflower;1946972]I see a PS05 version but I’m not sure if it is newer than PS0C or not.[/QUOTE]

PS0B is the latest official version on the “Global” site. PS0C is newer and works fine for me too. :slight_smile:

superhero

FW versions go 0-9, A-Z. PS0C is newer than PS05 by a long shot [7 revisions].

Thanks. I was kind of hoping that there was a newer version. I picked up some DVD+Rs today from Best Buy. They are TDK 16x that turn out to be Daxons. They seem to work okay if burned at 8x or lower, but they absolutely fail when burned at anything faster. (Two bad burns at 12X and two okay burns at 8x.) I thought newer firmware might handle the Daxon media (from Malaysia) better than what I have now.

You can always turn on HyperTuning using the latest SmartBurn utility. http://club.cdfreaks.com/f44/new-smartburn-v3-3-2-fht-os-oht-new-228377/ This will allow the drive to adjust to your media a bit. The HT setting may or may not hold after a system reset.

Or, if PS0C doesn’t have HyperTuning [if you can’t change it], download one of the “test” firmwares LiteOn provided here on the forum. Just search for it.

As far as i know PSOC is test f/w. That’s one drive i don’t have in either of my machines at this time.

PSOC is test f/w, but I’ve been using it for some time in my 160P6S and tend to get very good results. For some reason, this drive and f/w combination sometimes prefers to burn at 16x.

I’m sorry I didn’t buy another one of these Litey models when they were easy to get. I use mine so much that I’m afraid of wearing it out.

I also use PSOC in 2 of the 3 160P6S drives that I own and it performs quite well. I only wish I had bought a couple more of these drives as they are solid performers when it comes to getting quality burns out of cheap media.
budzos

LiteOn drives don’t get enough credit for their ability to burn a wide range of media well, and quite often, at burn speeds above their branded speed, and without the need for strategy patched firmware. The 6S drive is an excellent drive, one of my favourites. :slight_smile:

I just bought the latest LG 20x drive and I would have to say it’s a boring drive. It only burns quality media well and most media will only burn at its branded speed. No user options and no ability to lock the bitsetting. Ho hum…

What drives do you own these days? I must say that Samsung and LiteON’s 20X drive offerings are rather disappointing too. The OPC algorithms are far too weak to be of any use on variable quality media. Out of the drives in my collection, I favour my Pioneer DVR-112D and DVR-212 drives for burning now.

Regards,
TerminalVeloCD

[QUOTE=terminalvelocd;1951461]What drives do you own these days? I must say that Samsung and LiteON’s 20X drive offerings are rather disappointing too. The OPC algorithms are far too weak to be of any use on variable quality media. Out of the drives in my collection, I favour my Pioneer DVR-112D and DVR-212 drives for burning now.

Regards,
TerminalVeloCD[/QUOTE]
The LiteOn 20A3P using test firmware is my best drive. It produces very good results with all kinds of media and allows overclocking from 8x to 16x and 16x to 20x of most media. Every feature is user settable and quality scanning with jitter is supported and reliable.

My Pioneer 112D is my least used drive because it produces PIF spikes that make discs unreadable in other drives I have. :frowning: