Newer released movies getting much bigger in size?

vbimport

Hey everyone,
Has anyone noticed that the newest DVD released movies have been getting alot bigger in size?. Using DVDShrink, when copying original purchased movies like In The Valley of Elah, The Kingdom and American Gangster they seem to be very large in size and too big to burn onto a 4.7GB’s DVD-R. I had to purchase a few DVD+R DL’s (8.5GB’s each) to be able to fit these movies onto a backup disc. They are a little more expensive but they play just fine in my samsung. Does anyone know why they’re so big?, I am guessing myself that they are LOADING up their movies so that it makes it harder for amateurs to copy their movies, instead of encrypting all their movies. Any ideas?.

Thread moved.

[quote=seekdestroy16;2004964]Hey everyone,
Has anyone noticed that the newest DVD released movies have been getting alot bigger in size?. Using DVDShrink, when copying original purchased movies like In The Valley of Elah, The Kingdom and American Gangster they seem to be very large in size and too big to burn onto a 4.7GB’s DVD-R. I had to purchase a few DVD+R DL’s (8.5GB’s each) to be able to fit these movies onto a backup disc. They are a little more expensive but they play just fine in my samsung. Does anyone know why they’re so big?, I am guessing myself that they are LOADING up their movies so that it makes it harder for amateurs to copy their movies, instead of encrypting all their movies. Any ideas?.[/quote] Shrink while viable for most older movies is not updated anymore, you need to get a program that still updates to get the fixes needed.

Yes the studios do that IMO in an attempt to keep the quality down with the one click programs. If you learn how to use programs like VobBlanker, PgcEdit and MenuShrink in conjunction with DVDShrink or better yet DVDRebuilder you will not have to use to many DL discs.

It’s funny I was reading a thread last week where the OP stated just the opposite regarding the size of the main movie.

6 of one half dozen of another.:bigsmile:

[QUOTE=N-KB3;2005155]Yes the studios do that IMO in an attempt to keep the quality down with the one click programs. If you learn how to use programs like VobBlanker, PgcEdit and MenuShrink in conjunction with DVDShrink or better yet DVDRebuilder you will not have to use to many DL discs.

It’s funny I was reading a thread last week where the OP stated just the opposite regarding the size of the main movie.

6 of one half dozen of another.:bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the tip, I’ll give these programs a whirl. Unfortunetly the 8.5gb discs are like 20 bucks for a 10 pack… and 25 bucks for a 100-pack at walmart :(.

[QUOTE=seekdestroy16;2005242]Thanks for the tip, I’ll give these programs a whirl. Unfortunetly the 8.5gb discs are like 20 bucks for a 10 pack… and 25 bucks for a 100-pack at walmart :(.[/QUOTE]

off question?? Which walmart is that your getting 25$ for 100 pack DL? I haven’t seen that before?

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2005339]off question?? Which walmart is that your getting 25$ for 100 pack DL? I haven’t seen that before?[/QUOTE]
100 pack of DVD-R’s. They are only 4.7gb’s for $25, the DL ones are $20 for 10.

I have yet to see a new movie that does not fit on a DVD-R when shrinked properly. If the bitrate is so high, Shrink compresses it, so what? On the contrary, Shoot Em Up for example is so small, it fits on a DVD-R without any compression and has room left.

[QUOTE=Chetwood;2006045]I have yet to see a new movie that does not fit on a DVD-R when shrinked properly. If the bitrate is so high, Shrink compresses it, so what? On the contrary, Shoot Em Up for example is so small, it fits on a DVD-R without any compression and has room left.[/QUOTE]

I’ve seen a couple that don’t look acceptable even with a full reencode.

The originals are already highly optimised and there’s not enough scope for further compression.

So it can happen but it’s reasonably rare.

[B]Wombler[/B]

I had to use a DL to back up “Good Luck Chuck” because it was too big for a dvd-r 5. It would have been 60 or 70something? % quality on a single layer… Movie Only!
I agree though, some titles are HUGE and then again some titles you can back up the Full Disc and have room left over…???

This is primarily why I started ripping to xvid (acidrip FTW on linux :slight_smile: ). I can encode them at a high quality, and keep them at ~2gig to either play on my philips standalone, or more often just stream to my xbmc xbox from a samba share. Works great.