Newer iHDS118 models

vbimport

I passed by a local computer store, and noticed they had some LiteOn iHDS118 drives with an August 2016 manufacturing date. As far as I could figure out, it appears to be a reader only. (ie. No burning capabilities).

Very little information about these drives via googling.

It was tempting to buy an iHDS118 today. But I ended up buying a more recent iHAS124 F with a September 2016 manufacturing date. (The latter had a factory default CL9F firmware). Both drives were the same price, which made the iHAS124 F a no-brainer to buy out of the two.

Though with that being said, I’ll probably buy one if they’re ever on sale in the near future.

Yes, that is the naming structure for DVD-ROM models.

Using the last 4 or 5 LiteOn naming structures…
SOHW-1693S
SHW-160P6S
LH-16[B]W[/B]1P
LH-20[B]A[/B]1P
DH-24[B]A[/B]FS
iH[B]A[/B]S124 F
…the character in the position of the bolded W or A means the following (though some combinations do not exist)

[ul]
[li]B = [B]B[/B]D-RE
[/li][li]E = Combo DVDRW/BD-ROM
[/li][li]O = BD-ROM
[/li][li]A = Super[B]A[/B]llWrite DVD Writer: DVD±R/RW/DL & DVD-RAM & CD-R/RW
[/li][li]W = DVD [B]W[/B]riter: same as A, except no DVD-RAM support
[/li][li]C = Combo CD-RW/DVD-ROM
[/li][li]D = DVD-ROM
[/li][li]R = CD-R/RW
[/li][/ul]

If we reach back a little more, N would probably mean CD-ROM, but that naming scheme was a little different: LTN (CD-ROM), LTR (CDRW), LTD (DVD-ROM), and LDW (DVD Writer). [LTW may have already been in use for its LEDs; I’m not sure.]

This ignores JLMS model numbers.

Additionally, as you can tell, you generally get the max speed for the highest-priority descriptor. So for each, you’re also guaranteed to know…
[ul]
[li]B = BD-RE (max BD-R write speed)
[/li][li]E = Combo DVDRW/BD-ROM (max BD read speed)
[/li][li]O = BD-ROM (max BD read speed)
[/li][li]A = SuperAllWrite (max DVD single-layer write speed)
[/li][li]W = DVD Writer (max DVD single-layer write speed)
[/li][li]C = Combo CD-RW/DVD-ROM (max CD-R write speed)
[/li][li]D = DVD-ROM (max DVD single-layer read speed)
[/li][li]R = CD-R/RW (max CD-R write speed - with older formats, this is followed by max CD-RW write speed)
[/li][/ul]

That way you can immediately identify drives & know if they’ll have any kinda unique features.

Almost all of the model formats (except for the friendly shortened iHAS…/iHBS…/etc format) are guaranteed to let you know if a hardware revision has occurred. Select exceptions exist, but overall you can tell from model numbers when two drives are different.

More on topic: the iHDS118 has been on sale for a while now. I’m sure it, too, has seen some hardware revisions. Being a DVD-ROM, no one has shown interest in seeing how it performs. None of the ROM drives of any type are trusted for scanning, nor are combo drives; only the full-featured writers which both read AND write all supported formats are trusted for scanning. And with the writers being cheap enough to justify purchase over a ROM or combo drive, interest decreased even more.