Yes, that is the naming structure for DVD-ROM models.
Using the last 4 or 5 LiteOn naming structuresâ€¦
â€¦the character in the position of the bolded W or A means the following (though some combinations do not exist)
- B = BD-RE
- E = Combo DVDRW/BD-ROM
- O = BD-ROM
- A = SuperAllWrite DVD Writer: DVD+-R/RW/DL & DVD-RAM & CD-R/RW
- W = DVD Writer: same as A, except no DVD-RAM support
- C = Combo CD-RW/DVD-ROM
- D = DVD-ROM
- R = CD-R/RW
If we reach back a little more, N would probably mean CD-ROM, but that naming scheme was a little different: LTN (CD-ROM), LTR (CDRW), LTD (DVD-ROM), and LDW (DVD Writer). [LTW may have already been in use for its LEDs; I'm not sure.]
This ignores JLMS model numbers.
Additionally, as you can tell, you generally get the max speed for the highest-priority descriptor. So for each, you're also guaranteed to knowâ€¦
- B = BD-RE (max BD-R write speed)
- E = Combo DVDRW/BD-ROM (max BD read speed)
- O = BD-ROM (max BD read speed)
- A = SuperAllWrite (max DVD single-layer write speed)
- W = DVD Writer (max DVD single-layer write speed)
- C = Combo CD-RW/DVD-ROM (max CD-R write speed)
- D = DVD-ROM (max DVD single-layer read speed)
- R = CD-R/RW (max CD-R write speed ï¼ with older formats, this is followed by max CD-RW write speed)
That way you can immediately identify drives & know if they'll have any kinda unique features.
Almost all of the model formats (except for the friendly shortened iHASâ€¦/iHBSâ€¦/etc format) are guaranteed to let you know if a hardware revision has occurred. Select exceptions exist, but overall you can tell from model numbers when two drives are different.
More on topic: the iHDS118 has been on sale for a while now. I'm sure it, too, has seen some hardware revisions. Being a DVD-ROM, no one has shown interest in seeing how it performs. None of the ROM drives of any type are trusted for scanning, nor are combo drives; only the full-featured writers which both read AND write all supported formats are trusted for scanning. And with the writers being cheap enough to justify purchase over a ROM or combo drive, interest decreased even more.