NewEgg: Sata Burner Deals...Help me decide

vbimport

Need another sata burner to go with my NEC 7200S.

Looking for a real good reader and real good burner if at all possible. Which of the following is the best choice:

A. LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA Model iHAS120-08 - Retail - $26

B. ASUS 20X DVD±R Burner Black SATA Model DRW-20B1ST - Retail - $28

C. LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model iHAS220-08 - Retail - $28

D. ASUS 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model DRW-20B1LT - Retail - $30

E. LITE-ON 22X DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model iHAS422-08 - Retail - $30

F. HP 20X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA Model DVD1060I - Retail $30

G. HP 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model DVD1070i - Retail - $32

H. Pioneer 20X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA Model DVR-2910 - Retail - $45

either of the lite-ons or the Pioneer.

I would shy away from the HP and the ASUS

[QUOTE=~KIPPER~;2170182]either of the lite-ons or the Pioneer.

I would shy away from the HP and the ASUS[/QUOTE]

Between the Liteys and the Pioneer, which one is the better reader?

Yo-

IMO - the LiteOns - plus you get a darn good disc quality tester too-eh!!

Go the cheaper of the retail ones if you don’t need lightscribe (which most don’t) and you will get a spare beige faceplate and drawer cover-eh!!

Get the Pioneer SATA drive but forget the retail drive just get the oem one that’s $29.99.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827129032

[QUOTE=bigmike7;2170221]Yo-

IMO - the LiteOns - plus you get a darn good disc quality tester too-eh!!

Go the cheaper of the retail ones if you don’t need lightscribe (which most don’t) and you will get a spare beige faceplate and drawer cover-eh!![/QUOTE]

Thanks BigMike7. Went for the LS litey 220 because it had free shipping, so it was cheaper than the non LS version and the 422…$30 delivered for retail…Not bad at all…plus i needed a copy of Nero 7 which comes with the retail version.

[QUOTE=DVD_ADDICT;2170301]Get the Pioneer SATA drive but forget the retail drive just get the oem one that’s $29.99.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827129032[/QUOTE]

I was so tempted but, I’ve had a BAD history with my OEM burners.

Bought BenQ 1620 retail and OEM…retail still going strong for 4 years…the OEM crapped out after a year.

Bought Samsung (one of their earlier TSST Corp burners) OEM and retail…OEM died after 4 months…the retail died after 2 years.

Since then I’ve shied away from OEM burners and have only bought retail. It’s just me.

[QUOTE=cbboy777;2170322]I was so tempted but, I’ve had a BAD history with my OEM burners.

Bought BenQ 1620 retail and OEM…retail still going strong for 4 years…the OEM crapped out after a year.

Bought Samsung (one of their earlier TSST Corp burners) OEM and retail…OEM died after 4 months…the retail died after 2 years.

Since then I’ve shied away from OEM burners and have only bought retail. It’s just me.[/QUOTE]

There’s no difference as far as the hardware goes with OEM drives. When the first retail Benq 1640 drive was released I had to RMA back to Newegg. They sent me a brand new one. IMHO it’s the luck of the draw. I don’t particularly like Liteon drives. In fact I have a 18x spd one that I only use to rip dvd’s. I never trusted them with backing up my dvd collection. Just my 2 cents!:wink:

[QUOTE=DVD_ADDICT;2170335]There’s no difference as far as the hardware goes with OEM drives. When the first retail Benq 1640 drive was released I had to RMA back to Newegg. They sent me a brand new one. IMHO it’s the luck of the draw. I don’t particularly like Liteon drives. In fact I have a 18x spd one that I only use to rip dvd’s. I never trusted them with backing up my dvd collection. Just my 2 cents!;)[/QUOTE]

Man guess i’m just unlucky. Oh well. For 30 bones i get Nero 7 and a sata cable.:stuck_out_tongue:

Hrm you don’t like the Litey’s…I love my 20AP. Burns just as well as my 1640 and 1655. That Litey was a great scanner too.

Hoping that Litey’s sata drives are as good as their pata drives. I’ll be using the Litey mostly to read and rip.

Using my NEC 7200S as the main burner anyways.

Heck if I hate the Litey…it’s only 30 bucks but I get Nero 7 which I’ve needed for a while and a free sata cable to hook up my new Pioneer OEM.:wink:

Yo cbboy777-

Good choice - and the darn sata cables cost 3-4$ plus 6$ shipping - Nero 7 - well me favorite is still Nero 6 - and until they do it better - I’m sticking with 6-eh!!

[quote=cbboy777;2170322]I was so tempted but, I’ve had a BAD history with my OEM burners.

Since then I’ve shied away from OEM burners and have only bought retail. It’s just me.[/quote]

The OEM optical drives are usually identical to their retail boxed counterparts. The reason for a higher defect rate in OEMs is due to rough handling before being packaged (oops! dropped it on the warehouse floor…) and/or inadequate packaging for shipment – especially if more than one item is in the same box; they can impact each other during transit.

I buy all my OEM ODDs and HDDs from Newegg when they are on sale w/ free shipping, and order them seperately so there is only one per box. And if I get a damaged unit there is usually a 30-day replacement warranty for protection. But I’ll always pay a few bucks more if a retail equivalent is offered (when on sale w/ free shipping), due to the superior packaging of the retail box as well as the extras usually included like screws, cable, SW, etc…

Here’s my current dealing’s with neweggs so called "FREE Shipping"
I ordered a Sansa Fuse and here’s the shipping info as of today 12/6/08

Ship date 12/1/2008
Destination *****,FL 33000
Weight 0.5685
Date Time Location Details
12/4/2008 6:44 AM ET HOLLYWOOD, FL, US TENDERED TO USPS
12/4/2008 5:27 AM ET HOLLYWOOD, FL, US ARRIVAL DESTINATION DHL GLOBAL MAIL FACILITY
12/2/2008 7:54 AM ET HEBRON, KY, US DEPARTURE ORIGIN DHL GLOBAL MAIL FACILITY
12/1/2008 10:38 AM ET HEBRON, KY, US PROCESSED
12/1/2008 10:04 AM ET HEBRON, KY, US ARRIVAL ORIGIN DHL GLOBAL MAIL FACILITY
11/30/2008 4:30 PM CT MEMPHIS, TN, US PICK UP
Enter Tracking Number

Seems that DHL does not come to my location anymore so they dropeed it off at a post office in Hollywood FL …WTF !
they could have mailed it USPS from Memphis and it would have been here 3 days ago.

This is a first for me… newegg has been great for years but this is ridicules

[QUOTE=clsA;2171062]Here’s my current dealing’s with neweggs so called "FREE Shipping"
I ordered a Sansa Fuse and here’s the shipping info as of today 12/6/08

Seems that DHL does not come to my location anymore so they dropeed it off at a post office in Hollywood FL …WTF !
they could have mailed it USPS from Memphis and it would have been here 3 days ago.

This is a first for me… newegg has been great for years but this is ridicules[/QUOTE]

Busy time of the year for all carriers. All are doing more with less. The USPS are eliminating 9200 routes next year to make there budget. Check out what DHL is doing here. http://www.businessweek.com/globalbiz/content/nov2008/gb20081110_975682.htm

[QUOTE=Thunderbolt69;2171904]Busy time of the year for all carriers. All are doing more with less. The USPS are eliminating 9200 routes next year to make there budget. Check out what DHL is doing here. http://www.businessweek.com/globalbiz/content/nov2008/gb20081110_975682.htm[/QUOTE]

Yeah that was news on Nov 10 …why is Newegg still using them ?

Sorry for thread crapping but this has me upset and i needed to vent :wink:

yeah i ordered an 8gig SDHC card from the Egg and i’m going through the same thing as you. It’s going to take 1.5 weeks to get here. The HDD i ordered only took from Friday to Tuesday to get here. I ordered them the same day but at different times of the day. Both items had free shipping. Both items are coming/came from Memphis and i’m in southwest Missouri. DHL sucks.

:bigsmile: Hey! :stuck_out_tongue: Stop whining about free shipping! Hawaii and Alaska is excluded from free shipping. Yeah, yeah, it’s price we pay to live in paradise! :slight_smile: :wink:

For the Record …my stuff come in the mail today …Yeah Newegg

update: Got mine in the mail today…god i love Newegg and how fast they get me stuff.

Anyhow, Oct 08 build. Not bad I guess considering the scans i’ve seen of MCC004 on various burners here.

Passing thought…OMG what the hell happened to MCC004? I used to get PRISTINE scans at 16X burns on my BenQ’s. Has MCC004 quality dropped this much?

Burned @ 16x
Verbatim branded +R
MIT

And what is so bad about that quality scan? PIF max of 2 PIE max of 18 with an average of 1.18 looks pretty good to me.

To bad the drive wont record jitter.

[quote=cbboy777;2172688]update: Got mine in the mail today…god i love Newegg and how fast they get me stuff.

Anyhow, Oct 08 build. Not bad I guess considering the scans i’ve seen of MCC004 on various burners here.

Passing thought…OMG what the hell happened to MCC004? I used to get PRISTINE scans at 16X burns on my BenQ’s. Has MCC004 quality dropped this much?

Burned @ 16x
Verbatim branded +R
MIT[/quote]

Yo cbboy777-

That scan looks pretty good - my experience with any burner is they want to burn a few to kinda ‘settle in’

Also - you did uninstall the drivers in Device Manager for [B][I]ALL[/I][/B] your odd’s and let the OS find the drives and install fresh drivers on reboot didn’t you - if not you should and not have any candy for three days-eh!!