NewEgg: Paper Instead Of Plastic?

vbimport

Has anyone received an OEM burner order from NewEgg recently, that was wrapped in something other than bubblewrap? I recently got a drive that was wrapped in some kind of interesting brown paper bag material. :eek:

Done to save money on items they think will survive shipping.

And for those wondering, it looks like this (the photo is borrowed):

Being a petroleum product, I’m guessing that bubble wrap has gotten more costly.

I’ll only buy from Newegg when the product itself has sufficient packaging that it alone would probably survive shipping.

Newegg’s packing quality has been pretty bad since the store first opened, but since the UPS change a couple years ago, quality has gone even further downhill.

For instance, never buy a hard drive from Newegg if you want it to arrive in working condition…

It seems I have had only really great experiences with Newegg, I bought both my Raptors from them and they packaged in bubblewrap and a antistatic bag. Great sevice and fast shipping, never a problem.

Newegg has always used bubble wrap for hard drives & optical drives when shipped to me via FedEx. But then again I haven’t ordered anything recently and I’m in Hawaii. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=alan1476;2100406]It seems I have had only really great experiences with Newegg, I bought both my Raptors from them and they packaged in bubblewrap and a antistatic bag. Great sevice and fast shipping, never a problem.[/QUOTE]

Hey! Alan1476 what model Raptor did you buy? I see WD no longer manufactures the 36gb Raptor. I have one that I use on my other core 2 duo computers & I was looking to buy another one for my Intel e8400 system.

I just ordered and received this last week a Pioneer 216DBK and it was wrapped in bubble wrap.

Is there any correlation with what warehouse the products are shipped from?

[QUOTE=TrueLyFE;2100399]I’ll only buy from Newegg when the product itself has sufficient packaging that it alone would probably survive shipping.

Newegg’s packing quality has been pretty bad since the store first opened, but since the UPS change a couple years ago, quality has gone even further downhill.

For instance, never buy a hard drive from Newegg if you want it to arrive in working condition…[/QUOTE]

Yo TrueLyFE-

I have personally ordered over $10,000 in computer stuff from Newegg over the past five years - and have [B][I]NEVER[/I][/B] had [I]anything[/I] that didn’t work due to the way it was packed-

Now I have had returns - but not because of packaging - but because they didn’t work correctly or died shortly after being installed-eh!!

[QUOTE=bigmike7;2100460]Yo TrueLyFE-

I have personally ordered over $10,000 in computer stuff from Newegg over the past five years - and have [B][I]NEVER[/I][/B] had [I]anything[/I] that didn’t work due to the way it was packed-

Now I have had returns - but not because of packaging - but because they didn’t work correctly or died shortly after being installed-eh!![/QUOTE]

While not as much as Mikey above, I’ve spent several thousand dollars on computer equipment from the 'Egg and have never received anything DOA either.

For that matter, I’ve only had one item die on me ever that I purchased from them, and it was my fault for leaving it in the garage and condensation got to it after a heavy rain, but it was 3+ years old anyway. Dang though, I miss that monitor.:frowning:

[QUOTE=CDan;2100355]Being a petroleum product, I’m guessing that bubble wrap has gotten more costly.[/QUOTE]

I would assume you are correct. The average cost of resin is hovering near $1 per pound currently, where as 2 years ago it was ~ .30 cents. With the sales volume that Newegg has, it adds up quickly.

[QUOTE=dreamliner77;2100417]Is there any correlation with what warehouse the products are shipped from?[/QUOTE]

Has been for me. I ordered a pair of HDDs a while back that shipped from Nashville and arrived dead (both of them). They were packaged sitting together in the bubble, rubbing and banging against each other. The replacement drives came from C.O.I. in CA and were wrapped individually.

I have 2 of the the 150gbs RaptorX and I have the new Velosiraptor on order. http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Description=Raptor+150

I have ordered 6 hard drives from newegg…one had clicking noise…which seemed to be curse of those drives…get a good one ok…clicking noise…replace…

I just can not complain about the egg…fast service…good prices…good customer service if you need a return/refund…

I did prefer Fedx over UPS…Fedx is the best…wish the egg would go back to them. Fedx seems to always be a day early…and what ever they deliver…the box looks like new…no dings…they treat our stuff right:bigsmile:

PS Every oem device I have ordered was in bubble wrap…with peanuts also if I remember right.

But it is environmentally friendly though.
If product is big and heavy, this thick paper bag material should not be enough for protection.
But for lighter and smaller product such as hard drive, it is enough since all you need is to pack spaces of all 4 sides for no shaking and no direct impact. This paper thing has enough strength.
I forgot where it is from, but I received two of my 17 external hard drives with this kind of paper filler and no problems at all. ( Of course it is 2.5" portable, not those heavy 3.5" DT ones)

By the way, it is not hard to see using old newspapers as packing materials to fill up for the packages and even using on boxes for moving in Asia such as in Japan, Korea and China for years.

Even in few months ago when I ordered some Thats DVD+R spindles directly from Japan, they used only two thin layers of bubble wrap on each 50-pk spindle (I guess it is for protection between spindles) and used a lot of old newspapers to fill up the rest of spaces in the box. I order several times a year for several years now and yet never seen them using peanuts, but only bublle wrap and paper. Most of them are in perfect condition when I received.

I just got an Optiarc 7200 a couple days ago and it was wrapped in bubble wrap.

negritude …did it work??

I had ordered a bird feeder a few days back online…and it came in something that looked a lot like that (the cut card board). It was soft and would prob give good protection…but for a hard drive/optical drive…seems you would need bubble wrap also?