Newegg carries the BenQ DW800a

I just noticed Newegg carrying the BenQ now.

Do you think it’s a good deal?

It might be a good deal if it were the DW822A. But going to Office Max and buying a Kypermedia rebaged BenQ is probably better for some ($80 AR). I’d take it over a rebaged if it got down to $110 … which it will in be in a few weeks I bet (that’s where the other competition is at and NE usually meets that).

I’l probably wait for the 822A or 830A.

What is 822A and 830A? Are they produced by BenQ as well? I couldn’t find any information about these from BenQ’s webstie.

BenQ DW830A
BenQ DW822A

Mwave has the Benq DW800A for $92, and the older Benq DW-400A for $68.

http://www.mwave.com/mwave/skusearch.hmx?SCriteria=AA24690
http://www.mwave.com/mwave/skusearch.hmx?SCriteria=AA23390

It Bitsets, does - discs for only $10 more, and has good write quality, and does Mt. Ranier.

I just noticed Newegg carrying the BenQ now.

Did you read that review – It reads like an advertisement! LOL

I know it does! You have to take the reviews in NE witha grain of salt anyways. I hear the weed out some reviews.

There has been a good review on it.

What is BenQ so special about?

No offense but i just don’t get it

C’t magazine did some analaysis of 8x burners and their burns and with certain media. the BenQ along with some other Philips based chip sets (Philips, HP) got very good scores across the board. The also basically got the only good scores at 8x - the NEC, plextor, pioneer all sucked at 8x with the media and firmware tested. See theresults in this link. A score of 100 is perfect.

http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=13405&start=0

the BenQ in the cdrinfo review also got a good review as a reader and as a ripper. So basically it has no weakness as an all in one and it has bitsetting too.

The BenQ has some sort of calibration system that works throughout the burn, making the burn quality better. (Walking OPC)

Originally posted by suhksb
[B]What is BenQ so special about?

No offense but i just don’t get it [/B]

The BenQ has some sort of calibration system that works throughout the burn, making the burn quality better. (Walking OPC)
The Nu DDW-081 has the same OPC feature since it’s a Philips chipset drive, plus it’s cheaper and the dual ± firmware is free (vs. $10 for the Benq). OC Freak just published his review a few days ago.

But I found some articles in Chinese BBS website, which they said that the writing quality of Nu drive is NOT as good as BenQ drive.

I agree the C’t scans showed the Nutech not as good as the other Philips burners (BenQ,HP, Philips). Although I haven’t heard anyone complain who had a Nutech.

Plus you can get a BenQ for $92 at mwave.

http://www.mwave.com/mwave/viewspec.hmx?scriteria=AA24690

Or OfficeMax’s KHypermedia (Malaysia made) is a rebadged BenQ and sometimes on rebated sale for as little as $70.

According to the C’T results, the Nu Tech isn’t even close to the BenQ.

Originally posted by A Vampire
But I found some articles in Chinese BBS website, which they said that the writing quality of Nu drive is NOT as good as BenQ drive.

The only problem I have with the c’t results listed in the CDRLabs forum link is that there’s no explanation of the index c’t uses to rate drives, specifically what weight is given to each of the index’s components. Also, if you look at KProbe scans in reviews of the Benq at CDRInfo and OC Freak’s review here the Nu Tech does better on TY media burned at 8x than the Benq. c’t found Ricoh 4x +R media burned at 8x to be bad on the Nu Tech while OC Freak found them excellent. c’t also used older firmware and only burned -R media at 2x while OC Freak used the newer firmware that supports 4x -R burning.

IOW I would tend to trust OC Freak’s current review more than c’t relatively old one.

I believe someone mention the C’t scans did weight Kprobe errors very high. but also included some kind of jitter.

I believe someone mention the C’t scans did weight Kprobe errors very high.
That may be, but I’ve been looking at some of OC Freak’s Kprobe results in his review and it doesn’t jive with c’t’s results. Here’s another one - c’t rated the Nu Tech writing to 4x Verbatim/MCC DVD+RW discs at -329 which is really bad and gives the impression the Nu really sucks at writing DVD+RW. However, check OC Freak’s Kprobe DVD+RW scans here and the scans are actually very good and not as horrible as a -329 ranking would make you think.

Another factor from OC Freak’s review was that even when he got bad Kprobe scans on low quality -R media that wasn’t certified by the firmware, the disc was readable even though the Kprobe scan would suggest the disc shouldn’t be.

While the Benq is obviously a good drive, IMHO there’s enough other info to refute c’t’s implication that the Benq blows the Nu Tech away in write quality.