Newbie wonders what CDR burner to get

vbimport

Hi, I am finally going to get into the CDR burning era and am curious about where to start. First off, I have an IBM Net Vista computer, 566 speed, 64 MB RAM (which I'm going to increase to 128 MB before installing a burner).

I have been looking at several drives over the last couple of weeks but can't make up my mind on which one to "pull the trigger" on and get.

I have looked at several Lite-On models which appear to offer a lot of bang for the buck. I have also seen some refurbished Plextors online for about the same price as the Lite-Ons; only difference is 90-day warranty with those as compared to a year for the Lite-Ons. I've also looked at spending a little more for the TDK writer whose model name escapes me at the moment. I've also seen some LG's for good prices.

Can anyone give this newbie some recommendations about where to start? I'm basically looking for an IDE model that will give me reasonably solid performance just to get my foot in the door and get started with this, I can look at upgrading and updating later. I don't have a mint to spend but I don't want to go dirt cheap either because I know you get what you pay for and I'm wanting something that's going to work right out of the box and last and not screw my computer up (I found a good deal on some CenDyne units but in doing my homework on this I saw several reports of these causing problems with Windows and keeping people from booting up their computers). And I'm not looking for something that has to be speed-of-light fast either, again I'm just looking for a starting point, it's really irrelevant to me right now if it takes 8 minutes compared to 4 to burn a CD. Is there vast and appreciable difference between 32X, 40X, 48X anyway?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!:slight_smile:

Originally posted by GregB
[B]Hi, I am finally going to get into the CDR burning era and am curious about where to start. First off, I have an IBM Net Vista computer, 566 speed, 64 MB RAM (which I’m going to increase to 128 MB before installing a burner).

I have been looking at several drives over the last couple of weeks but can’t make up my mind on which one to “pull the trigger” on and get.

I have looked at several Lite-On models which appear to offer a lot of bang for the buck. I have also seen some refurbished Plextors online for about the same price as the Lite-Ons; only difference is 90-day warranty with those as compared to a year for the Lite-Ons. I’ve also looked at spending a little more for the TDK writer whose model name escapes me at the moment. I’ve also seen some LG’s for good prices.

Can anyone give this newbie some recommendations about where to start? I’m basically looking for an IDE model that will give me reasonably solid performance just to get my foot in the door and get started with this, I can look at upgrading and updating later. I don’t have a mint to spend but I don’t want to go dirt cheap either because I know you get what you pay for and I’m wanting something that’s going to work right out of the box and last and not screw my computer up (I found a good deal on some CenDyne units but in doing my homework on this I saw several reports of these causing problems with Windows and keeping people from booting up their computers). And I’m not looking for something that has to be speed-of-light fast either, again I’m just looking for a starting point, it’s really irrelevant to me right now if it takes 8 minutes compared to 4 to burn a CD. Is there vast and appreciable difference between 32X, 40X, 48X anyway?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!:slight_smile: [/B]

well, in which country do you want to buy the writer, and how many $, €, or whatever, do you want to spent on it?

I bought the cheapest…
because I thought: 10 speeds are fast enough…

and it is… just burn if you go away for a (short) time.
So dont invest too much in speed…

(and sorry Ive used you for the Karma points. I said: “I agree” so you earned 15 points…)

I myself own a Plex2410 and it really is a great drive. But when I look at what you get with a Lite-On drive for less money I suggest you go for that brand. It’s cheap and can backup SD2.51 (copyprotection) easy! (with the proper software)

In the past few years i have used ricoh 7083, the12xTeac drive, the TDK24xCyclone and the one i currently use Plextor4012A.

I had some problems with the ricoh and tdk drives. Ricoh had buffer underrun and media compatability problems, while the tdk was a very bad SD2 reader and extracted bad quality audio.

I was very pleased with the teac drive and of course i am very very pleased with my new plexie :stuck_out_tongue:

If i were you, i would go for a TEAC drive preferably the 24x. It does what it promises, will cauze you no problems and the price is right … when you get the hang of it, you’ll then be able to distinguish by yourself which drive you should upgade to :wink:

The best writer (and cheapest!) for all available data copy protections: LiteOn (24sp and faster)
The best writer for audio copy protections: Plextor (actually, for audio protections, it is the reading part which counts…)

You can also check the reviews done by CDFreaks, they are rather comprehensive so they should shed you some light in the darkness!

:cool:

I recommend u go 4 a LiteOn Drive, Why u Ask ?

1. Reasonably priced ie. I bought a 48x Speed today & it cost me under a 100 quid.

2. Speeds vary from 24 - 48x speed writers.

3. They Burn thru anything, and i mean anything

4. they backup games with SafeDisc 2.51 protections on them, try using cd-mate with them, their absolutely magic…

Indeed the only two brands that you have to look at are plextor and liteone.

For info about these two just try search function. and you will find that liteon is cheaper and is able to do the same as the plex

Went with the LiteOn 40X12X48 … $72 including shipping from NewEgg, couldn’t pass it up. Wish me luck and thanks for the input!

With the Lite-On, you won’t need luck, its my CD/RW of choice. Haven’t run into a bad one yet, and they copy anything.

Bluesky

Liteon for game and protected cd’s and plextor for the audio cd’s.
I have not be able to get cdrwin under Winxp though.

Liteon’s will backup almost everything. Plextors are good for just everrything else.

I have had a few different brands, plextor HP, Sony, Liteon, Mitsumi, Artec, Acer , The hp just was burnt out of existence and the acer was also burnt out. The others just work, and do what i need them to do