Newbie with a question to people who knows what they are doing

Hi, I am planning to burn some old family VHS to DVD. I’ve researched and found Taiyo Yuden DVD might be my best bet on good discs. I am presently using Magnavox -R DVD with a HP dvd940i Interanal 18X Super Multi DVD Writer, and having problems with it. Can someone recommend what my best bet would be, I would like to purchase another dvd writer and should I purchase Taiyo Yuden discs, does 8x or 16x make a difference. I live in Hawaii and shipping is alway expensive and a problem. Thank you for your time, I hope I know where to look for a response. Aloha, Bryan

Taiyo Yuden are always the best route in my opinion.
8x or 16x will be your preference ,shipping weight I believe is the same.

As far as having problems with your drive we my be able to help if you let us know your set up. Operating system , what size cpu , how much ram things like that.

Thank you much for the reply, I’m computer illiterate, but will try to find those information. I have a Dell PC which I purchased about 4 years ago, I think it has at least 10 gigs left on the hard drive, the ram speed I need to check. Any suggestion on a dvd burner for purchase? Thanks again. Bry;an

I just got me 3 of these :
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f58/much-desired-optiarc-ad-7200a-back-stock-newegg-276593/

Nice little burners at a good price.

Thanks, I’ll check it out.

I would like to purchase another dvd writer and should I purchase Taiyo Yuden discs, does 8x or 16x make a difference.

For -R the 8X TY’s are better than the 16X. I assume the +R might also be.

I also have an Optiarc 7200A, it’s almost as good as my Pioneer 115D.

Thank you for the information.