Newbie who needs Guidance

vbimport

I need help with my Liteon 163. I have the most current firmware that was factory installed on this dvd rom. I have not had any problems with this dvd since I purchased it a couple of years ago. Recently, though, I had to reformat my hard drive and start from scratch. Since then, whenver I place any media in my dvd rom, I get the “blue screen of death” with an OE error message saying I have and issue with scsihlp.vxd. How can I fix this? I have windows 98se and don’t know a whole lot about dos or how to work in the bios other than that if I don’t know what I’m doing, i can really mess things up. I know this is an older piece of hardware, but if anyone can give me guidance, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

Hi, and welcome. :slight_smile:

Based on what you’re describing here, it sounds like a problem with your operating system and not with your drive. Drive defects or problems with drive firmware can’t cause you to get a BSOD (Blue Screen of Death)… it’s something with your setup.

Perhaps problems with your IDE drivers? ASPI layer? Unfortunately, I am not familiar with such problems, and as this seems to be a problem not specific to LiteOn drives, I’m moving this thread to another forum.

Good luck! :slight_smile:

thanks for your help.

which forum have i been moved to?

Hello there :slight_smile:

Although you are in the hardware forum, I think this one would fit best in the software forum. But ok… I’ll leave the thread here as I’m not entirely sure about this one :wink:

Anyhow, it seems that this VXD file (see it as driver) for your SCSI subsystem (also used for IDE devices) is corrupted. If I remember correctly, simply deleting this file can do the trick.

Ah see here… this I just found:

Q) How do I prevent getting Blue Screens or freezeups while using the Compaq
DVD player?
A) Look for a file named SCSI1HLP.VXD(or SCSIHLP.VXD) in the
Windows\system\iosubsys directory. If there, rename it toSCSI1HLP.OLD, then
reboot.

Well I guess that says it all :slight_smile:

Thank you Dee-ehn for your help. That worked great. I appreciate your very valuable input. Us newbie’s are greatful for whatever help we can get. :bow:

Haha that’s ok :).

That’s just how forums work: when you have a problem, ask a question. When you notice other ppl having a problem and you know something about it… then return the favour and help them out as well.

Welcom aboard, new forum addict :smiley: