Newbie wanting some clarification on copying VHS to DVD with Panasonic DMR-EZ485V

vbimport

Hello,

I just signed up on myce for the 1st time. I have been copying a bunch of old family tapes and most of them copied very straightforward but I have a few that for some odd reason will just stop copying and report an error. I can just tell it to copy AGAIN but it just keeps failing over and over again. Is there a way to tell the unit to continue copying despite errors or will I just need to handle these as exceptions and take them to a “professional” place to do them? Thanks so much, I look forward to meeting people and learning more about consumer electronics!

What error are you getting?
Welcome to MyCE!

Good Luck

I am wanting to copy VHS to DVD on my Panasonic DMR-EZ485V.Can I do this on this one recorder?

If the VHS tapes are not commercially made, then yes, you should be able to copy them straight to dvds.

If you are trying to copy commercially made movies, those have Macrovision protection, and the Panasonic will detect this and will not record. You would need a separate VHS player and a video stabilizer to input into the Panasonic recorder.

Thank You

There are many threads on doing this maybe even some with your unit.
The problem with answering your question is there are many variables.
If you are using a home recorded VHS done when there were no broadcast flags.
It should work with no problems.

If you are wanting to do this with commercial VHS movie tapes you have to have a video stabilizer. Dimax Grex is one & their site has a diagram for the 475 but your model is listed when it goes to this diagram . It probably be similar with tother brand stabilizers.
http://www.xdimax.com/grex/grex.html#CMP

You might take a look at this post:

@ Kerry56 , If you take a look at the diagram on the Grex site it is supposed to be possible without a seperate VHS player .
Of course there is a good reason to use the right seperate VHS unit as some of the SVHS units had a higher output resolution.

Thanks for that link cholla. Looks like they have a workaround for using just the Panasonic recorder instead of using a separate VHS player.