Newbie: uncompressed file question

vbimport

I am new to AnyDVD and CloneDVD and have a simple question.
How do I get UNcompressed files to my hard drive from a DVD using AnyDVD or CloneDVD? Is this even possible?
Please be kind. :slight_smile:

What exactly do you mean by uncompressed?

If you mean that you want the files exactly the same as they were on the original then this depends on the original DVD. If when you try to copy the DVD the quality bar is not showing 100% then set CloneDVD to DVD-9 (dual layer) and not DVD-5 (single layer) when ripping the DVD to your HDD. If the movie is a single layer DVD to begin with then there is no problem with CloneDVD set to DVD-5.

I am trying to copy 3 files from a DVD to my hard drive. Each of the 3 files contains multiple VOB files. Each of the 3 files makes up 1 episode and there are 3 episodes on the disk. Using CloneDVD, I selected the 3 files but the compression kicks in and reads about 54%. I even tried changing to DVD-9 and I still have compression. I can’t believe there is no option to transfer these files with no compression. I just had a thought…I guess I could select 1 file at a time with DVD-9 selected. Shouldn’t that give me no compression?
If I understand the quality bar, if it reads 100% does that mean there is no compression?

So, you are trying to copy a single episode, correct?

I happened to forget within CloneDVD the DVD-9 setting is ‘DVD+/-R DL’. I have to admit I’m stumped as to this problem. I experimented with a few of my own episodic TV DVDs and cannot reproduce this. As soon as I change the setting to DVD+/-R DL the quality bar goes to 100%.

It shouldn’t be larger than a DL DVD. One thing you could try if you care to is instead of setting the drop-down by quality to DVD-5 or DVD+/-R DL you could set it to Custom and then slowly increase the size and see when it hits 100% As you click the up arrow the quality bar will move higher.

Theoretically, yes, but this would make watching the episode a major pain in the butt, no?

Yes, you are correct.

Sorry that I can’t help more. Maybe someone else has an idea that I don’t. I cannot reproduce this so I can’t tinker with it.

Thanks for your help. I will play around with it a little more.

I tried it again and this time when I selected the DVD+/-r DL option it went to 100%. :slight_smile:
I’m sure I did something wrong the first time or just thought I tried that option. In any event it is doing what I want now.

Thanks again for your help. :iagree:

@ AiQuantum,

I might be helpful if you informed Forum Members exactly what DVD you are attempting copy.

Exactly what are you attempting to do with the VOB files that are contained on this undisclosed DVD?

The more information you can provide to Forum Members the better Forum Members will be able to assist you.

Regards,
bjkg

Great! I’m glad it’s working now. :slight_smile: