Newbie to the nth power

Hello folks. I don’t know from nothin’ so am expecting to take some flak on this very basic question. I am using XP Home.

I needed to backup a spreadsheet on my CD-ROM drive and bought a download from Microsoft for 19.95 that let me do that. It also let me print web pages. One of the features was Record Now. I never got to burning any music.

Hurricane Katrina hit hard here in Biloxi and I had to do a recovery, and lost all application programs.

I do not remember the name of the download from Microsoft, but now I have found where the experts are, and it may not matter.

Should I buy the Microsoft thing again (and can you tell me the name of it) or should I buy something else?

@ Jay Ray,

Welcome to the Forum.

I believe you must be extremely confused.

There is absolutely no software program in the entire world that will enable a CD-ROM to burn/record data. It is physically impossible. A CD-ROM is only a “reading/playback” device and not a “recording” device.

Best Regards,
bjkg

You are correct on both counts bjkg. What I meant was the CD drive, not CD-ROM. So there may be little hope for my confusion, but there might well be something that helps put the CD drive to work. Any suggestions?

What version of Windows are you using?

If you’re using Windows XP, then the ability to burn is built in, free.

If you’re using an older version of Windows… don’t bother finding that Microsoft thing again. Just go over to Nero.com and pick up “Nero Express.”

It’s a great and easy-to-use burning program that really only lacks a few advanced features that you’ll likely never use, such as burning from “disc image” files, etc.

Actually if you are talking about the full version of nero 6, it can burn from image files. I just checked on my computer and it is nero express 6 that can burn image files. Thiers not much the full nero 6 package cannot do (that the average person would want to do burning related anyway).

Thanks NRen and ripit. I’m using XP Home. I couldn’t make it burn and a tech at Office Depot told me to get the Microsoft thing. Then I could burn.