Newbie to Blu Ray needs help

vbimport

I’d like to make the transition to rip/burning BD.
I have Anydvd, Nero and Imgburn. Is there software that goes in-between Anydvd and Nero, (Shrink) as with DVD’s?
As for blanks, how does one know, SL, or DL BD-R?
I know I need a BD reader/burner. Will I need to upgrade the video card which is an ATI 9550?

You’ll need the HD version of AnyDVD, which is more expensive than the regular one. If you only have the plain version, you can upgrade.

If you need to compress to fit onto blank dvds or blank BD-R disks, you should get BD Rebuilder. It is still in beta, and still free to use.

SL BD blank disks are nominally 25gb. You can fit about 23gb on them. They are very much less expensive than the DL blanks at this time.

Don’t know about your ATI 9550. It seems marginal, even if it is one that is HDCP compatible. You can get a more capable card, like an ATI 4650 for less than $50 at Newegg.

The ATI 9550 is questionable for HDCP. 50bucks is a no brainer for no problems. The rest seems pretty straight forward.
For backing up BD movies, does one use SL or DL? … if I had the burner, I’d know the answer. :slight_smile:
Thank You.

[QUOTE=dr_entech;2475917]I’d like to make the transition to rip/burning BD.
I have Anydvd, Nero and Imgburn. Is there software that goes in-between Anydvd and Nero, (Shrink) as with DVD’s?[/QUOTE]

I’ve used BD Rebuilder a few times (free software) to shrink double layer Blu-rays onto single layer BD-R. Unfortunately, it takes a LONG TIME. I used the two-pass (normal quality) method on Live Free or Die Hard and it took 10 hours using a Q8200 2.33 GHz Core 2 Quad processor. A few weeks ago I upgraded to a Q9650 3.00 GHz Core 2 Quad, and it cut it down to 7 hours. If you use the 1-pass method it’ll about halve the time but quality won’t be as good. Some people say it’s good enough; kind of a judgment call.

[QUOTE=dr_entech;2475917]As for blanks, how does one know, SL, or DL BD-R?[/QUOTE]

I’ve used Verbatim for BD-R SL from rima.com and haven’t run into any problems. Roughly $3.50 apiece shipped. I’ve also used TDK and Sony for BD-R DL and haven’t run into any problems, but you’ll be lucky to find them under $8.50 shipped from e-bay. Which one you’ll need depends on your backup method.

1. If you want to do a 1:1 backup of the original, you’ll need a BD-R DL about 80% of the time.
  2. If you want to shrink the original, BD-R SL.
  3. If you strip out all the extras (using BD rebuilder) and stick with main movie only, plus downgrade the lossless audio track to a lossy one, you can usually (90% of the time) get it to fit onto a BD-R SL. Worst case, you’d have to split the main movie to a BD-R SL and a DVD+R DL.

[QUOTE=dr_entech;2475917]I know I need a BD reader/burner. Will I need to upgrade the video card which is an ATI 9550?[/QUOTE]

Are you going to use the computer to watch Blu-rays or are you going to use a PS3 or standalone to watch it on the TV? If computer, a 256 MB card while AnyDVD HD is running is probably sufficient. If you’re watching it on the TV, it doesn’t matter how good/bad your video card is and it’s only really CPU power that you have to worry about.

Hi SRG,
So basically, it’s the same process as SD DVD’s. Media as well, SL or DL, depending on what you wish to preserve. It appears there is not a comparable package to “Shrink”… keeping both audio and video in a timely manner…yet.
I was using my mac mini for DVD playback, with a RPTV. Rip/burning is done on my PC, P4 socket 478 Hyper…2.6GHz. I decided to upgrade to a Samsung 240Hz LCD and the mini w/1.66GHz CPU, just could not cut the mustard; it looked like streaming video. I decided to get the Oppo and could not be happier. So, no viewing on the computer, just rips and burns. As per your experience, if I use BD Rebuilder, I will be processing a BD, long into next year. :slight_smile:
Thank You for the excellent explanation.
D_E

[QUOTE=Some Random Guy;2475990]
I’ve used Verbatim for BD-R SL from rima.com and haven’t run into any problems. Roughly $3.50 apiece shipped. I’ve also used TDK and Sony for BD-R DL and haven’t run into any problems, but you’ll be lucky to find them under $8.50 shipped from e-bay. Which one you’ll need depends on your backup method.[/QUOTE]

Hello SRG,

I searched around and the BD SL, are reasonably prices. The BD DL, are insane. You either buy 100 or so, which come out to 7-10bucks a piece or onezees for 20bucks. Same price as the original purchased movie.
Do folks use the BD SL, and split them into two disks; same proceedure as SD DVDz as when using Shrink?
If so, can you make a suggestion? I have Nero 9 and Imgburn.
Lastly, do you have a preference/opinion on BD burners? I’ve read some good posts on Pioneer. Don’t recall the model but Newegg has it for around 220bucks.
Thanks again.
DE

sorry to extend the convo, but i have a similar question…

im running an amd x2 4200 and only a 8600gt. wont be using my pc for viewing tho, strictly ripping and converting. BUT i want to convert it to play on my new WDTV LIVE. im thinking a MKV file so i can keep it 1080p and still real surround sound. What programs should i be using? for regular dvds i used anydvd and clonedvd2. i DO have the HD version of anydvd already tho. so what is recommended in this case? thanks

uronmy49311, you should try MakeMKV to convert Blu ray to mkv files. It won’t compress them, or convert any of the video or audio. It just puts it into an .mkv file. http://www.videohelp.com/tools/MakeMKV

once i have them as a MKV, is there a good program out there to make them a 1080p h264 mp4 or something? thanks

Any particular reason for changing from .mkv to .mp4? I suppose you could do this with AviDemux and just copy the video stream without losing quality, but you might have problems with audio or subtitles.

i was looking to reduce the size… i keep reading about people making h264 mp4s from blurays that are still great quality that come out to only like 8GB… possible?

Yes, that is possible. You’ll need to start with a decrypted disk. I usually rip to an ISO and mount in Slysoft’s VirtualClone Drive. From there you select the main m2ts file within the movie and import to RipBot264. Set output as an .mp4, use 2 pass encoding mode and lock the output size to your desired target.

The problems start when you run into a BD disk that has the main movie split into several .m2ts files. For those you might want to first use ClownBD, which can combine them and let you select the video, audio and subtitle streams that you wish to keep. Then use the resulting Blu ray structure (m2ts file) as input into RipBot and reduce the overall size and change to .mp4.

Combining them can also be done using BDInfo to find the MPLS (movie play list) and import that into tsMuxer. ClownBD is just a gui for eac3to and tsMuxer

[QUOTE=uronmy49311;2488490]i was looking to reduce the size… i keep reading about people making h264 mp4s from blurays that are still great quality that come out to only like 8GB… possible?[/QUOTE]

yes it is possible, but it doesn’t have to be .mp4, .mp4 just like ,mkv, ts, m2ts are just containers, not actual codecs.

just when re-compressing movies, use 2pass for better quality and don’t cut bitrate to extreme low levels or quality will suffer.

[QUOTE=uronmy49311;2488490]i was looking to reduce the size… i keep reading about people making h264 mp4s from blurays that are still great quality that come out to only like 8GB… possible?[/QUOTE]

Well anything is possible if you have the time, and don’t care about the quality. I use DVDFab, and only Back-up the Movie. So I use BD-R and BD-R DL, depending on the BD Movie size. I like the full resolution, and I enjoy watching my Back-ups more than the Originals. :bigsmile: