Newbie questions on mtkflash and mtkwinflash

vbimport

Hi guys,

I have a few questions on these 2 flash software. I’ve read the relevant threads but still have a few questions, so please bear with me and try to help me out. Thanks!

First off, I have an IOMEGA 48x24x48 CD-RW drive(SOS2 firmware), which I believe to be a LTR-48246S clone. I’m trying to flash it to the IOMEGA 52x24x52 firmware, which is confirmed to be a LTR-52246S clone.

1. Are there any differences between mtkflash and mtkwinflash, other than the obvious difference of 1 running in DOS and the other in Windows? Obviously mtkwinflash would seem much more user friendly and convenient, but are there any drawbacks to using it? Stablity? Reliability? Sucess rates?

2. Should ATAPI or IDE mode be used when running mtkwinflash?

3. Does it matter which IDE channel the drive is connected to? Will it work for drives connected to standalone PCI IDE controller cards? Mine’s connected to one with a Sil0680 controller chipset.

4. Does it matter if DMA is enabled? I read a post saying to disable it but with no reasons and/or followups given.

5. Any other relevant tips, like for example remove all CDs in the drive, etc? (Does it matter?)

Thanks, and please help! :bow:

1. WinMTKFlash can only flash your drive if it’s detected by windows, so it can’t revive dead drives.

2. ATAPI is default, IDE will do too.

3. There have been alot of problems with drives connected to controller cards in the past although it shouldn’t be a problem.

4. Nope.

5. Remove any discs in the drive is always recommended.

I keep reading conflicting opinions on the DMA setting though, its kinda confusing for a newbie… :confused:

Originally posted by Airhead
1. WinMTKFlash can only flash your drive if it’s detected by windows, so it can’t revive dead drives.

i believe ide mode lets it revive dead drives.