Newbie question:What is TLA?

vbimport

I found many of you here talking about TLA.
Is it an ID of producing area?
Can someone give some explains in advance?
Thx.

from the FAQ:

Q What is TLA# and how do I know what TLA# my Plextors are?

A The TLA# stands for the hardware revision and installed firmware version. There are some differences between the various TLA#'s. You can find the TLA# on the unit itself and on the package you got it in. petspeed: Plextor uses the first two digits in the TLA# for the hardware revision and the last two digits for the shipped firmware version. So the only difference between TLA#0000 and TLA#0002 is the shipped firmware which you can easily update yourself if you’ve got a TLA#0000 (source).

So basically the trouble people were having with the plextor premium and safedisc that was put down to TLA (not sure if this was ever confirmed) could have been fixed by updating\changing the TLA
Or is this not possible

I thought it meant The Last Attempt.

Dallshead writes:

So basically the trouble people were having with the plextor premium and safedisc that was put down to TLA (not sure if this was ever confirmed) could have been fixed by updating\changing the TLA Or is this not possible

The TLA is not something you can change. The first two number of the TLA for example (TLA01–) represent the hardware revision. Plextor changes the hardware revision whenever it changes a part in the drive’s manufacturing process. The current hardware revision for the PX-716A is TLA02 (representing the second hardware revision)

The last two digits of the TLA ex: (TLA–02) represent the firmware revision. Firmware is something that you can change by downloading firmware updates from the Plextor website. Current Plextor PX-716 drives are shipping with firmware revision 2.

So when you look at the box, it states TLA0202 (meaning hardware revision 2, firmware revision 2). You can change the firmware, but only Plextor can change the TLA#, make sense?

ImBAD

I thought it could not be changed but in the FAQ quikee2 posted

The second two digits of a drive’s TLA can be “changed” if you update the firmware to one higher than what the drive originally came with. In fact, when I got replacement drives shipped to me from Plextor, they put a new TLA sticker (TLA 0105) over the older ones (TLA 0101 and 0102) to indicate that the drive was shipped with firmware 1.05. However the first two digits of a TLA cannot be changed; as mentioned earlier they represent the hardware revision.

You mean, third?

Bump
Sorry

It’s second.

Initial release TLA00xx
First hardware revision TLA01xx
Second hardware revision TLA02xx.