Newbie Question: How do you test DVD Media for NEC 3540

vbimport

Newbie Question: How do you test DVD Media for NEC 3540? I have been reading quite a bit on how to do it but i dont fully understand. I have liggy and dee’s firmware 1.W9 and I have used Nero CD/DVD speed a little but I dont understand the results. They dont look as smooth as other drives I have seen which is how its supposed to be I have read. I am not sure if any of this makes sense to any one else but if there is anyone out there that can help me figure this out, it would me much appreciated… Thanks

Edit: Attaching scans.

Hope it helps, if I’ve understood your request correctly. :slight_smile:

Alright I just burned the movie Happy Gilmore on a DVD-R TYG02 at 8x using DVD Decrypter.

This is not a good scan for TYG02. Although NECs aren’t the best scanners, this shouldn’t be so bad. Are you sure you have real TYs?
Also, don’t scan at max speed. Scan at 8x or 4x speed. I don’t exactly know what the speed recommendations for NECs are but scanning at 16x isn’t good.

Yeah i thought these results looked bad… I will soon post ones scanned at 8x speed and see if this changes anything. Also these are legit TY’s bought at supermediastore.com (they are printable DVD’s if that makes a difference)

Hi :slight_smile:
Set scanning speed to 5x with Nec. Also in the top half scan the green read speed line has disruptions along it. This indicates some other pc activity going on while scanning. This will affect result.

You beat me by about 5 seconds with the advice to scan at 5x :p…and yeah, try also to do as little as possible on your PC whilst scanning :slight_smile:

I’m stalking kg today. First off, that disc will play in any player and there’s nothing wrong with it as a backup for an original you own (you can always make another copy when the first one gets destroyed). There’s a lot of really picky people here, you all know who you are :bigsmile: . After all, they’re CD[I]Freaks[/I], not CDsettleforwhatevers. Secondly, I agree with kg, scan that again at 8x and post it (it’s the forum standard scan speed). Finally, I’ll second zebadee on the disruptions. I get real funky results when I scan and browse www.cdfreaks.com at the same time. :sad: Maybe I need another PC?

And PS, it is that tall spike of PIF at ~1.3GB that gave you the lower score. Do you see any physical imperfections on the disc about 1/4 to 1/3 of the way from the middle of the disc to the outside edge?

And zebadee appears to be stalking me :bigsmile:…and weird, I thought 5x was the standard for NEC scans :confused:

I’ll stalk you back :iagree:
This looks like dust…

Here are the new scans on an idle PC at x5

Much better! :slight_smile:

These second scans are a lot better, but is it up to TY standards and most of all up to holy CDfreaks standard?

It’s debatable whether there is a single standard scanning speed on the NEC forum, because the scanning threads ask for either 5x or 8x scans.

Given that many of the NEC 3550/3551/4550/4551 drives scan at their very worst at 5x and 8x it doesn’t even make sense to enforce a single scanning speed on NEC drives in my opinion - unless that speed was 1x which would be too slow for most people.

Look here and here for what I’m talking about when I say that not all scanning speeds are created equal for these NEC drives.

If 5x scanning works for you, then use that. If 8x scanning is better, then go for that. If none of those scanning speeds give reliable results, find another scanning speed that works or better yet, get a LiteOn DVD burner for scanning.

Hi :slight_smile:
The question of scanning speeds. Despite a group of users seemingly happy to scan @ 8x regardless of drive. The majority still appear to use 4x > Lite-On 5x > Nec 8x > BenQ. I understand & appreciate that unless going to extremes (16x) minor variations of speed probably have little if any affect. But if wishing to compare with past scans there seems to be something to said for consistancy. Most BenQ users after a brief flirtation with 8x P-CAV have returned to 8x.

Yo-

Your scan looks fairly typical for TYG02 on a 3540 (very similar to my scans on the same drive)

Think that you will find that a 3540 is a VERY good reader and a average writer-

May want to look at the LG 4167 or LiteOn 160P6s or the BenQ 1650/1655 for better write quality - using the 3540 as a reader-

Mike

A few differing opinions re: scan speed for NEC, I see. :slight_smile:

Personally, I’m used to LiteOn (4x/8x) and now BenQ (8x) scans…I think I’ve only been into the NEC forum about twice. :bigsmile:

[Off-topic]
The older 1S, 2S and 3S LiteOn drives should use 4x scanning speed according to CDFreaks LiteOn forum standards, whereas the newer 5S and 6S drives should use 8x scanning speed. There is occasional debate on this topic, but almost everybody is doing it that way.

Personally I would prefer 6x CLV scanning for the BenQ drives, but since the majority of the forum are using 8x (CAV) it would be a rather lonely battle against windmills I think.
[/Off-topic]

Enforcing a single standard NEC scanning speed in order to get consistency would be completely counter-productive given the variability of NEC drives as scanners! :Z

Hi :wink:
Well I’m pleased to say that I’ve almost got rid of all my Nec drives. :clap: My experience with them left me looking for the razor blades & not to shave either. :bigsmile:

"Yo-

Your scan looks fairly typical for TYG02 on a 3540 (very similar to my scans on the same drive)

Think that you will find that a 3540 is a VERY good reader and a average writer-

May want to look at the LG 4167 or LiteOn 160P6s or the BenQ 1650/1655 for better write quality - using the 3540 as a reader-

Mike"

Is one of these burners considered to be the best or do the all fair about the same. I dont want to start a big war with this question though.