Newbie question: Copying in Explorer

vbimport

I just copy the “VIDEO_TS” folder of a DVD to harddisk using Windows Explorer (with AnyDVD installed, of course).

Does that give me an unprotected copy of the DVD suitable for burning later?

I tried that with Nero Burning ROM and it seems to work fine - only that I still cannot fast-forward on the copyright title. Shouldn’t this user restriction have been removed?

Or did I misunderstood how AnyDVD works - my understanding was that the files were filtered/changed on the driver level, so that Windows only sees unprotected files?!

In general: Are there any hidden DVD features that I miss when just doing a file copy?

> I just copy the “VIDEO_TS” folder of a DVD to harddisk using Windows Explorer (with AnyDVD installed, of course).

Does that give me an unprotected copy of the DVD suitable for burning later?
<
Yes.

> I tried that with Nero Burning ROM and it seems to work fine - only that I still cannot fast-forward on the copyright title. Shouldn’t this user restriction have been removed? <
Yes, if it was switched on in AnyDVD the moment you copied to the harddisk. Best thing to do is start a player software before you copy - so you see exactly what you’ll get- Maybe you should enable “remove annyoing adverts & trailers”.

> Or did I misunderstood how AnyDVD works - my understanding was that the files were filtered/changed on the driver level, so that Windows only sees unprotected files?! <
No, your understanding is quite correct.

> In general: Are there any hidden DVD features that I miss when just doing a file copy?<
No, not that I know of.