Newbie Q... SHW-160P6S won't burn 16x

Hey guys… nice forum you have here…

I just updated to firmware PS09 and I’m burning to Memorex 16x DVD-R discs.

I’ve tried ONES, RecordNow MAX and NERO, all give the same results pretty much. A 4gig burn will take about 6 mintutes which is the same time it takes with 8x Maxell DVD-R discs… My speed is always set to 16x or MAX but it will start at about 7x and slowly climb to about 10x near the end of the burn???

Am I missing something here?

Pentium4 3.0GHz
80Gb harddrive
Windows XP Prof.
Ultra DMA Mode 4

Memorex are a highly questionable media anyway so it would be very useful to do a Disc Quality scan in Nero’s CD-DVD Speed & post the pic back here. Save the image as a PNG type. Scan at 8x btw.

heres a test using a blank 16x Memorex

While using the ONES trial version it shows a speed at the bottom… so maybe it shows the average speed… but when I use a 8x disc ONES shows 8x speed in realtime…

any help is appriciated

Do the DQ scan on the burnt DVD that showed slow burn speed.

There is a registry hack for Nero to show the realtime speed. It’s a sticky at the top of the Nero forum.

BTW 6 mins is an OK time anyway and don’t forget that the max 16x speed is only achieved near the end of a DVD so as you were only burning 4GB & not a full DVD the max speed might not be reached.

here ONES:

this took 6:12 to burn… i guess I was just looking to cut the time to burn a typical 4Gb dvd to 3.5 minutes and I though 16x would achieve that.

16x will NOT achieve 3.5 minutes. The best is likely to be just under 6mins. The speed increase is slow & progressive & an average of 11x or so is good.

wow Tim thanks… i guess i’m all good then, here’s a shot of that DQ but taken at MAX speed, I’m doing it again using 8x, I’ll post that aswell.

Thanks for stepping me through this stuff, I guess I have some more learning to do.

6 minutes is a good time for a full disc 16x burn. 8-9 minutes is normal for 8x burning. it’s imposible to write a full dvd in 6 minutes @8x. there’s nothing wrong with your writer.

General Information
Drive: LITE-ON DVDRW SHW-160P6S
Firmware: PS09
Disc: DVD-R (RITEKF1)
Selected speed: 8 X
PI errors
Maximum: 116
Average: 31.12
Total: 429577
PI failures
Maximum: 4
Average: 0.23
Total: 3142
PO failures: n/a
Jitter: n/a
Scanning Statistics
Elapsed time: 9:49
Number of samples: 120081
Average scanning interval: 1.18 ECC
Glitches removed: 0

all sounds good to me then…
did you want to see this info to check out the memorex 16x quality???

It’s always useful seeing scans of other media. Personnally I only go for Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media these days. When I started burning I thought cheap was best but now I know better.
As chok0 says, there’s nothing wrong with your burner or burn speeds & that scan is not too bad. You might want to try it at 12x & see if the PI Errors can be reduced.