Newbie needs helping finding good DVDs for burning movies

Hi!

I’m completely new to this, I’m afraid.

I have burned some movies to (pretty cheap, I think) Sony DVDs, and whilst they’re pretty okay, overall, they quite often “freeze up” or “choke up” for a couple of seconds, and it can become pretty distracting and really ruin the experience.

I’ve been trying to look for good alternatives, but it is so confusing.

I’ve hears good things about Taiyo Yuden DVDs, and Verbatim DVDs, but even then I don’t know whether to go for DVD-R or DVD+R…

Also, I have been told that it might vary from computer to computer which DVD is best— which “burner” the computer has? Is this the case? I have a Philips 15NB57 laptop (but I’m not sure how to work out from that which sort of “burner” is in that series…)

It’s so confusing! :sad:

Could anyone possibly recommend a brand of DVD (and whether I should get DVD+R or DVD-R)— just so that my DVDs don’t end up with these spots of freezing/choking/glitching…?

Also, I would like to know what reliable websites I could buy these DVDs from. I only ask because I have heard stories about scams: people being sent lousy, poor-quality DVDs that are just packaged in Taiyo Yuden boxes and that sort of thing…

Any reliable online sources?

Thank you so much for your help!

If you are in the United States, look at rima.com and supermediastore.com. Both are reputable online sites for dvd media. If you are only going to buy one type of blank dvds, I’d get the Taiyo Yuden 8x +R disks. They have an excellent reputation for quality and compatibility.

If you want 16x media, the Verbatim 16x disks are quite good. Sony is normally good quality, and usually my third recommendation, so it is not a particularly good sign that you are getting glitches with them. What speed are you burning at? If you are using the top speed of this laptop burner, take it down a notch and see if that helps.

To find out the model burner you have, use a free utility called Nero InfoTool. You can download it from here: http://www.nero.com/enu/support-nero8-tools-utilities.html

Thank you for your help!

I will look into the Taiyo Yudens you recommended!

Also, I’m less worried about the Sony DVDs now. I had been playing them in one player and getting glitches, but I have now tried them out on three other players I have lying around and they’ve been fine. So all is well!

Again, thank you!

One thing I would say is that I am in the UK rather than the US— so if anyone coild recommend any good sites for buying DVDs in the UK, it would be much appreciated!

SVP is often mentioned by our UK members as a reputable site. http://www.svp.co.uk/

as stated above…

in general Verbatim DVD+R 16x cert discs are a ‘safe bet’ (burn @ 8x or 12x… i would say stick with 8x burn speed in general for 16x media as it’s a ‘safe bet’.)

and… TY (Taiyo Yuden) DVD+R 8x certified media are ‘the best’ (for a reasonable price)

but in general i would say the Verbatim DVD+R discs are better than the TY media mainly because ‘bang for the buck’ wise the Verbatim’s are better as there quality is almost as good as the TY but there about half the price or so.

but if money is not a issue just get the TY DVD+R 8x ones.

so basically get either…

-TY (Taiyo Yuden) DVD+R 8x discs
-Verbatim DVD+R 16x discs

going with those two brands it’s pretty ‘safe bet’ and hard to go wrong.