Newbie Needs Advice on Burner

vbimport

I've decided to get me a CD-RW + DVD Combo for my PC. Can anyone recommend any good websites where I can search for one. I've never had a burner, so could you also tell me what brands I should stay away from. I don't want to buy a piece of junk that will stop working within a year.

Thanks ... Tim

:)

www.plextor.be
20x write, 10x rewrite, 40x read and 12x DVD read.
And EXCELLENT quality :slight_smile:

Although I must add that a CDRW-DVD combo isn’t the ideal setup. Using the same device for reading and writing affects the lifetime on the laserheads. And you won’t be able to make direct copies (cd -> cd); you’ll always need to make an image to hard disc.

Therefor, it’s better to get two separate devices. eg a DVD/CD reader and a CDRW.
DVD/CD: The pioneer 16x/40x is pretty good.
CDRW: one of the plextors; 40/12/40 :smiley:

Atleast, that’s my advice :wink:

Thank you for your reply Wannes, you are the second person to suggest that burner, and other people have also suggested Plextor burners. I prefer the burner from your site, It has the Nero software and is available with a black bezel. The problem is that I am in the US ( California ) will I be able to purchase that burner?.
This is the US link. http://www.plextor.com/english/products/20_10.html

Thanks for the info about using the same device for reading and writing, the affect it has on the lifetime on the laserheads. I don’t expect to use the DVD player that often, I may watch two or three movies a month, at the most. Will that have a big effect on it?
:slight_smile:

Toshiba combo’s seem to be good also…they can copy the new safedisk i heard