Newbie needs advice for downloaded movies

Greetings all. I’m very new to this. I recently downloaded a movie which I want to burn to VCD because my stand alone player can play DVD/VCDs only. I do not have a DVD burner.

Friends advised to search for <desired film>.BIN and <desired film>.QUE. Download them, use NERO and open the <desired film>.QUE and burn.

After doing so, stand alone dvd wouldnt play the film. Tried playing the film from my computer too, it wouldnt work either. I assume I now a new coaster for my work station.

Friend then advised to use ISOBUSTER, which tells me the film is SVCD format.

Q #1) Shouldnt my computer be able to play it from the NERO SVCD burned CD? (I have CD-R burner) and Nero 6.

I also found same <desired film>.AVI so I download it and can play it on computer with Windows Media Player, and its very crisp and very clear.

Q #2) Does it make sense to “backup” the <film>.AVI using Nero and using the “copy a data file” to create a copy of it for later viewing just to get the 700 meg file off my hard drive? Then I could at least use the data-cd to re-download to my hard drive. I want to keep the movie on hand, but need to offload to CD-R, to free up disk space.

Any suggestions would help. Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by tbonerides

Q #1) Shouldnt my computer be able to play it from the NERO SVCD burned CD? (I have CD-R burner) and Nero 6.

Depends if you have the right codecs installed. You can get a good codec pack here. Nice playback software can be found here.

Q #2) Does it make sense to “backup” the <film>.AVI using Nero and using the “copy a data file” to create a copy of it for later viewing just to get the 700 meg file off my hard drive? Then I could at least use the data-cd to re-download to my hard drive. I want to keep the movie on hand, but need to offload to CD-R, to
free up disk space.

You could copy/past the mpeg file(s) (usually in the MPEGAV or MPEG2 directory) to a harddisk and double-click it. If you want to burn it , you will need to write it with the compliant standards. Nero should be able to do this for you. You will need a compliant standalone dvd player or correct codecs of course. .AVI files can be anything , but are usually Divx-coded movies , which cannot be played by normal standalone dvd players.

I hope this is a legitemate movie , otherwise i’d be forced to close this thread forever.