Newbie needing some help

I just bought an LG Super Multi DVD Rewrite GSA-H55L…now I’m lost. I am a bit concerned that it won’t be compatible with my system for two reasons - it says the system requirements are 512MB for optimal performance (but can use less from what I gather)…I have 256MB Ram on my system (and an Intel Celeron 2.40GHz). It also states that you need a VGA card Memory of 128MB or greater. Sadly, I don’t even know what this is, let alone if my computer has it.

I don’t want to go installing this thing to find out it won’t work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Which operating system are you using? 256mb is probably the minimum with which I would run Windows XP, but some versions of Linux or Windows 98 run fine on that.
Even so, your dvd drive should play dvds or burn to disk with that amount of memory in the system. You probably wouldn’t want to do anything else while burning to disk in that particular setup though.

I’m not sure why it would list a requirement for a certain amount of video ram. Perhaps a requirement for one of the software programs that is included with a retail version of this drive? In any case, you can check the amount of video ram with a free tool called SIW (system information for windows), which you can download here:
http://www.gtopala.com/siw-download.html
Look at the video line when the program loads.

Do you know if you have a separate video card or is your video integrated into the motherboard possibly? If you have integrated video, it will use part of your system memory and slow down your system quite a bit. SIW will show if the video is integrated or not.

More system ram is one of the easiest upgrades you can do for your computer, and I recommend getting more if you can afford it. You can find out the type of ram you need by going to the home site of Crucial or Kingston memory manufacturers and inputting the make and model computer that you have. If it is regular ddr ram, it shouldn’t be too expensive now, but the older style rdram and sdram could get a bit pricey. Good places to buy ram online include Newegg.com and zipzoomfly.com if you are in the US.

Thanks for the link. :slight_smile: I’ve got windows XP Home Edition Limited. For video is says:
onboard devices, video (enabled) Intel 845-G PCI Accelerated SVGA. I’m assuming that means its integrated?

I’ve checked under the video sections but can’t find anything that refers to VGA card memory, however it lists the memory under video at 64MB.

Would it be a better idea to return this burner and get a different one, better suited to my system (assuming such a beast exists)? Or maybe delay my purchase until I’ve upgraded my comp?

You’ve got integrated video all right. And since it is using 64mb of system memory, that leaves very little for basic operations in your system. I still believe your burner will work in this computer, but it doesn’t meet the recommended specs on the video. And the only thing I can think of that might need that much video ram is some of the software, as I stated earlier.

What software is included with your burner? And what program are you planning on using for burning to disk? If you haven’t heard of it, you might want to look into a free program called ImgBurn. Look in their forums for instructions on how to use the program…it is fairly simple to use.

Returning the burner or replacing it with another will do no good. The basic requirements in the system will be the same for all dvd burners.

Personally, I’d just install it and try it out. If it fails to work, which I think is unlikely, then you have an excuse for returning the drive.

Your system will be dog slow till you upgrade memory though. You’d be amazed at what an improvement you will see by going to 1gb of system ram. The Intel 845-G chipset could use either sdram or ddr ram depending on the motherboard, so I can’t tell at the moment which you are using. I still advise going to Crucial’s site and finding out which ram you need. What brand of computer do you have, and what model?

The burner came with the following software:
LG DVD Writer Solution - Power DVD, Power Producer, Nero Express (LightScribe Support), InCD, Acrobat (which I’ve already got) and a Drive Manual.

I have no idea what software to use, aside from wanting to use Windows MovieMaker to do video montages. I’ll check in to the ImgBurn! Thanks! :slight_smile:

I’ve got a Dell Desktop Dimension 2400. The Crucial site says:
Maximum Memory: 2048MB
USB Support: 2.x Compliant
Standard Memory: 128, 256, or 512MB removable
Slots: 2 (2 banks of 1)
Each memory slot can hold DDR PC2700,DDR PC3200 with a maximum of 1GB per slot.*
*Not to exceed manufacturer supported memory.

Thanks for taking the time to help me out with this!! :slight_smile:

PowerDVD is a good dvd player for your computer, so it is a worthwhile addition. I dislike most of the rest of Cyberlink’s software, so PowerProducer is not something I would deal with. There are much better solutions for working with video. A good place for information regarding video editing, conversion and authoring tools is www.videohelp.com

Nero Express, even in the lite versions they put in with burners is not a bad program for burning, but I would not install InCD unless you have a specific need for it. It has been known to cause problems.

PC3200 ram in 512mb sticks is running about $25-$30 apiece plus shipping from Newegg. Some good brands for ram include Kingston, Crucial, Corsair and Mushkin, but most manufacturers have a lifetime warranty on their memory these days.

Even adding one stick of 512mb would help you quite a bit, but I’d recommend getting two 512mb sticks if it fits in your budget. For Windows XP you probably don’t need more than 1gb total even with your onboard video, and you might have problems using 1gb memory sticks in that motherboard.

It looks like that particular Dell doesn’t include a video card slot—no AGP or PCIe slot, so even if you wanted to upgrade the video, you’d be stuck using a PCI slot card and that is basically a waste of money. You’d be better off just getting a whole new computer for the cost of new memory plus a pci video card. Have you looked at the latest Dell offerings? I recently priced a bottom of the line computer from them (no monitor) for $309 with free shipping. I always look in their business section by the way, not the regular consumer section.

To sum it up, I don’t think the lack of high powered video will hurt you with this burner or the programs you’ve mentioned, unless Power Producer needs something extra. PowerDVD shows that your chipset and video are supported. You really need a bit more memory, and even 512mb of pc3200 would help a lot.

Good luck. If you need any more help, cdfreaks is a very good forum with lots of people willing to chip in.

Thank you for your help! I really appreciate it! :slight_smile: