Newbie multiple questions and bleat post! (longish)

vbimport

Bleat: I don’t mind paying 99 pence, cents or etc. for new tracks, but it does seem unfair to be asked to pay the same for a 40 or 50 year old track as for a 2004 track. I’ve got thousands of 45’s and I want to download a few old favourites, I’m inclined to do this free on p2p because I figure I’ve paid once anyway, at least that’s my point of view. Comment?

Also, since I can buy loads of oldie tracks on a CD in the supermarket for maybe 20 UK pence a track, why if I don’t want the CD, artwork, distribution or supermarkets profit should I pay five times that amount for an old Rock and Roll track?

On the other hand I do want to pay for new music, I think it’s the right thing to do.

Question: Napster UK makes this statement on their web site, “You can also collect as many tracks as you want on the hard drives of up to 3 PC computers to listen offline and save bandwidth while you surf the Web. Enjoy these tracks as long as you are a Napster subscriber”.

The suggestion is that the downloads you pay for you are only renting, is this so?

iTunes seem to have a pay-for-a-track-and-it’s-yours policy, only you have to download their software.

Is there a good location where you pays your money and buys the track or tracks without a load of “stuff” getting in the way? If not, what’s everyone’s top recommendation?

download a program called ares lite and enjoy.

What does it do?

It’s a P2P program. Reading your post I will say this real quick. You don’t own any music you buy, just like the OS on your computer, you are licensed to use it for your own personal use. This is why when you bought LP’s you had to buy tape later and then you had to buy CD when they came out and yes, now you must buy the lossy version as well. Unless as you say you can duplicate it on your own for yourself.

The trouble with Napster and those of that ilk is if you can’t get “authorisation” your music will cease to function. This can easily be proven by moving tracks to another computer, or even a re-install of your OS will cause your “collection” to become useless. It only takes a second or two to reactivate them. However, if Napster AKA Roxio goes under- you can kiss your money goodbye. Unless they sell to someone and they take up the authorisation bit. I avoid such schemes like the plague.

On your other matter. The RIAA has SO FAR only litigated against UPLOADERS and even those were individuals uploading or making available thousands of tracks to the internet. Downloading has not yet triggered a lawsuit against anyone AFAIK. At least leeches or those that left their shared file folder empty or small.

On the other hand the MPAA has come after downloaders and even those that have downloaded as little as a couple movies.

Is there a good location where you pays your money and buys the track or tracks without a load of “stuff” getting in the way? If not, what’s everyone’s top recommendation?

I assume you mean online here, as obviously you can visit a record store and buy until you are blue in the face. However, no one in the United states has been able to cut a deal with any label to offer online copyrighted materials that do not contain a form of DRM. There are exceptions to this as there are a handful of track and also independent artists that just use P2P as a way to become known.

The legal download sites had a hell of a time getting the labels to allow the music to be transcoded into a small Internet form WITH DRM that they trusted. This was a big stumbling block that held up Legal downloads for quite some time.

There are sites overseas that are selling music that has no DRM for pennies on the megabyte and claim to be giving royalties back to the artist. They also claim to have the legal right to be selling this material due to their countries copyright laws. However, at the prices they sell music at there is no way they cut a legitimate deal with the labels in the US. At best, they might be able to sell this music in their own country legally but to sell beyond their borders makes them a target by the copyright holders. The real “owners”.

So we can’t really accept this claim. Having said that, their country has turned a blind eye to the situation, and has said as much due to piracy priorities. The country is rampant with this activity. It also seems the RIAA is either powerless, or has not had the inclination, or for political reasons has failed to shut down these type sites. They have been running for years.

If you truly want to pay for your music and listen to it on your computer without DRM, you will have to buy a CD and rip it yourself.