Newbie iso question

vbimport

So ive downloaded some files that are (program).iso.exe

they claim to be iso's, but I have no idea how to burn them

any ideas?

thanks

Doubleclick hem to see if they are self extracting.
If nothing happens (or you get an error) change the extension to *.iso (thus removing the .exe)

Then you should be able to burn it with either Adaptec Easy CD Creator or Nero (for more information on that you can use our search )

If that doesn’t work try ISOBuster or WinImage to exrtact the ISO. Or try to open it in a plain text editor to find a string that says which program is used (you’ll see all kinds of weird characters and stuff, but somewhere it should be there). Maybe that helps identifying what kind of image (ISO) it is.

The files are more than likely rared. If they have the .rar extension then use Winrar to extract them…you will then either have a cue/bin image or an ISO image. EZCD will burn an ISO and Fireburner or CDRWIN will burn cue/bin. With cdrwin if you use the wrong serial then you will produce only coasters.

Can you give more info on your files? meaning are they rared…the more info, the more someone can help you. I have been a newbie for a looong time now…heh heh heh… :wink:

TO: weaseman

The files are more than likely rared…Can you give more info on your files? meaning are they rared…the more info, the more someone can help you

He did give the info that was needed about the files. What he is saying is that the filename is “xxx.iso.exe” and wanted to know what to do with those kind of extensions. How to open them, burn them, etc.

TO: hornsby 15
I agree with Da_Taxman. If you are still having difficulty opening or burning them remove the .exe and leave the .iso extension and use Winiso to extract the files. Worked for me.

excuse my ignorance, but I cant seem to figure out how to remove the extension, it sounds dumb, I know Ive done it before, but cant remember now…

and when I use winiso to extract the files, what does it extract them to? just open files on the hard drive? a burnable format? or can I actually burn from winiso?

I looked at it yesterday briefly, but couldnt figure that out

thanks again

and it doesnt self extract, that was the first thing I tried :wink:

when you are in Windows Explorer, you can see the .exe extension on your screen?

If not, you should enable that in your options menu of WIndows Explorer.

When you can see the extension you can click the file, then press F2 (a box appears around the filename and the text in that box is selected), you can then edit the filename.

Since the file did not self extract, is it one big file of several hundres of megabytes? Or is it a smaller file of maximum 15 megabytes? An ISO of a game usually is about 500-600 megabytes… If it is a file of around 15 megabytes it is possible that it is only one file out of many…and you miss a few files…

so, now I get the file and I found an extraction program (im still looking for winimage) and it puts it into a .fcd format. How do I burn?

thanks, you’ve been really helpful!

Originally posted by hornsby15
so, now I get the file and I found an extraction program (im still looking for winimage) and it puts it into a .fcd format. How do I burn?

The *.fcd format is used by “Virtual CDroms”. If you use ISObuster, you can unpack this image so you will get the files of the image unpacked in a folder! After doing that you can burn the files with Nero fe. Don’t forget to check the Volumelabel before start the writing process! You can find the label if you open the image in ISObuster cause it will say it in the left window of ISObuster!

Good luck! :slight_smile:

When I try to burn a cue/bin file with cdrwin5 I get “buffer error”. Does that mean that the file is to big or what ?

I don´t get where to put the cue and where to put the bin file here, but I guess I´m doing the right thing :confused: