Newbie Help

Hey, as you can see and read I’m a newbie. That is to burning. My dad got me a CD-RW for christmas (MSI 48x16x48 MS-8348). I just got it put in and loaded up the burning software that it came with (Nero 5.5.8.1).

The first thing I wanted to burn was a copy of WinXP, which in itself is a copy that a friend owns. He used Roxio and apparently had no problems. When I tried to use Nero, however, using the CopyCD function, it came out bad. The CD-R doesn’t read at all, even though it said the write was successful. In fact, when I went into My Computer to try and open up the CD file structure, it locked up my computer.

As I’m new to burning CDs, and after browsing over the forums and seeing how complex the process can be, I wasn’t sure if I had done something wrong or if it was just the program I was using. I have since d/l CloneCD, but I’m not ready to waste yet another CD-R.

Thanks,
Julian

Exactly what media did you use, and how fast did you burn it?
Did you copy the CD to HD first, then to CDR, or did you do a CD to CD copy?

I first copied the entire CD contents to the hard drive and then attempted to burn that to a CD-R at 48X using Nero. My Computer picks up the CD, but it stalls and locks up when I try and open up the contents and it doesn’t autorun.

The second time i did a CD to CD copy using Nero at 40X, and that one is worse in terms of locking up my entire system.

Julian

Exactly what media did you use,

Uhh…aside from Nero 5.5.8.1? I’m on WinXP. I’m not sure what other sort of “media” you could be referring to. Like I said, I’m a newbie at this, so I’m not sure exactly what it is you’re looking for me to reply with.

Anyway, I actually got it sorted out. I used CloneCD to create an image of the CD, then mounted it on a virtual drive via D-Tools (I know CloneCD also could do that, but I wasn’t sure about the emulations like securom and safedisc) and did a CD to CD copy from the image to a CDR. Worked like a charm.

But thanks for the willingness to help me out.

Originally posted by crownjules
The first thing I wanted to burn was a copy of WinXP, which in itself is a copy that a friend owns.

Since you yourself don’t own this original, you are making an illegal backup…hence, you are breaking forum rules…

Topic closed!