Newbie HDTV Questions

I’m getting closer to making the jump from CRT. Based on reading & price point, am currently leaning towards either a Panasonic or Samsung 50" Plasma 720P, 600 hz.

Questions:

1. How important is 1080 vs 720? I do not have the best eyesight.

2. Similar question on 600hz vs 120 hz? I do tend to notice dvd motion artifacts, but i have no intention to go 3d.

It appears that choosing 720/600 provides a pretty large price savings over 1080/120.

Any other thoughts appreciated.

1. How important is 1080 vs 720? I do not have the best eyesight.

Our locals broadcast a mix of 720 and 1080 and on a 47" Vizio LED LCD set I can’t tell the difference.

1. Similar question on 600hz vs 120 hz? I do tend to notice dvd motion artifacts, but i have no intention to go 3d.

That I can’t say too much about, except that my favorite video profile on this set has the smooth motion and other frame repetition/interpolation stuff turned off or set to the minimum settings.

Our cable also has a mix of 720p and 1080i programming and while my wife can’t tell a difference between them I can. Especially when watching video off an HD disc at 1080p. IMO, it all comes down to the individual whether 1080p is a must have.

The one concern I would mention with plasma is what the room conditions are where it will be located. If it sees a lot of bright daylight then an LCD might be a better choice. If ambient light isn’t an issue then plasma is the best route, IMO.

[B]1. How important is 1080 vs 720? I do not have the best eyesight.[/B]
It’s appears that you have a price point and based on this comment you would be fine with a 720p TV. Most people will have a difficult time trying to tell the difference unless they know what to look for.

[B]2. Similar question on 600hz vs 120 hz? I do tend to notice dvd motion artifacts, but i have no intention to go 3d.[/B]

600hz vs 120hz both refer to two different technologies. In Plasmas it’s sub-field drives, in terms of LCD or LED LCD Tv’s its refresh rate. Based on the different technologies used Plasmas tend not produce motion artifacts per say.

Bottom line you are the end user, it’s what looks good to you. Spend some looking through some reviews and take them with a grain of salt. Tv’s are not perfect and there will always be something that you don’t like.

:cool::cool: