Newbie hardware install problem w/ NEC 2500A

Have been trying to install a dvd+/-rw (tried a Lite-On LS411 before and returned it for same reason as now), but have been getting a same problem: when I try to burn an image from dvd decrypter, it would get stuck at “Setting Write Speed” stage and not proceed, and I have to hardware reset to get my disc back out.

I have a CDRW and this NEC on the same, secondary IDE, with the NEC being slave (I had tried various configurations before w/ the Lite-On like taking out the cdrw and setting the drive to 2ndary master w/o much difference), and 2 hd’s on primary IDE. Any idea what might be wrong?? Thanks! :confused:

What is your complete configuration? Motherboard + chipset + other hardware?

Originally posted by Herrie
What is your complete configuration? Motherboard + chipset + other hardware?

Athlon 2400+ on Asus A7VX8-X, 512mb pc133 RAM, radeon 9200SE, running WinXP. My HDs are 80 and 60 gb each. Am I missing anything else?

What happens with different burning software, like Nero for instance.

Originally posted by rdgrimes
What happens with different burning software, like Nero for instance.

In nero it would be stuck right at the very beginning… it’d go to the screen that should show the progress but it never moves. :confused:

Seems like something is pretty messed up in your system. I assume you have a VIA-chipset on your motherboard. Be sure to use OR the official Windows drivers or the Latest 4-in-1 drivers! Be also sure to install ASPI 4.60 (Search for ForceASPI 1.7 on Google).

Deffinitely a driver problem, IDE drivers or corrupted ASPI. XP does not require ASPI, and neither does Nero, so maybe you should start by removing all traces of ASPI with KillASPI, then see if you still have the issue.

Originally posted by Herrie
Seems like something is pretty messed up in your system. I assume you have a VIA-chipset on your motherboard. Be sure to use OR the official Windows drivers or the Latest 4-in-1 drivers! Be also sure to install ASPI 4.60 (Search for ForceASPI 1.7 on Google).
I’m pretty sure I have the newest windows and 4-in-1 drivers. I installed ForceASPI 1.7 but the results are the same…

Deffinitely a driver problem, IDE drivers or corrupted ASPI. XP does not require ASPI, and neither does Nero, so maybe you should start by removing all traces of ASPI with KillASPI, then see if you still have the issue.

KillASPI’ed and checked that it’s off my system but same problem.
Curiously, I ran Nero InfoTool and the configuration looks like the attached image. Shouldn’t they be shown as IDE adapters (like from the NEC 2500a review page)? Could that be what’s wrong? Thanks for the help everybody! :bow:
P.S., I think I didn’t mention in the original post, but the exact events when I try to burn something is: 1. it doesn’t do anything first (no spin up or anything). 2. after a few minutes the green LED on the drive will turn on for about 15 or so seconds and the system shows HD to be spinning for the same duration of time, after which 3. nothing else happens for the next 5 or more minutes and I reset the system. All this time dvddecrypter shows “setting write speed” as the message and won’t let me quit (same w/ nero).

Uninstall the VIA IDE drivers and try the MS default IDE controller drivers.

Uninstall the VIA IDE drivers and try the MS default IDE controller drivers.

Newbie question again… how do I uninstall the Via IDE drivers safely? My friend (maybe he’s not such a friend after all if this has been causing me the problem! j/k) helped me install the via drivers to begin with. I assumeit’s from device manager and just click on the primary and secondary ide adapters and uninstall driver? would that mess anything up? Thanks!

In DM under the IDE controller you will see an entry for “dual Channel controller” or maybe the VIA miniport dual channel, just uninstall that and reboot, Windows will then re-detect and should prompt you for instructions on what driver to install. If it re-instyalls the VIA again, then you’ll need to use the “update driver” route and direct it to the correct driver.

In DM under the IDE controller you will see an entry for “dual Channel controller” or maybe the VIA miniport dual channel, just uninstall that and reboot, Windows will then re-detect and should prompt you for instructions on what driver to install. If it re-instyalls the VIA again, then you’ll need to use the “update driver” route and direct it to the correct driver.

Hmm… doing that threw my windows out of whack… it kept hanging while finding a new driver (w/ the icon in the system tray). I finally went to “Last Known Good Configuration”, but now the via driver is still there and there’s conflict w/ primary and second IDE channels and secondary ultra ATA/ATAPI channel. Any ideas? Is it just time to reformat and start over anew?? =(

How many IDE channels do you have? Sounds like more than 2.
If you have 4 channels, then each pair will have a different controller and different driver.
Tre the update driver route, and force it to show you a list of known drivers.

How many IDE channels do you have? Sounds like more than 2.
If you have 4 channels, then each pair will have a different controller and different driver.
Tre the update driver route, and force it to show you a list of known drivers.

This is what it’s showing. I’ll try that

Originally posted by GoSMSciJCL
This is what it’s showing. I’ll try that

Now the 2ndary ultra ATA/ATAPI channel moved around to the scsi/raid controllers thing… weird! Still not fixed though it seems.

Hmmmmm…
Is this your board?

Shouldn’t be 4 channels showing, so maybe uninstall the whole mess and reboot again. Somebody with a KT400 board and VIA miniport drivers needs to jump in here.
I think this is fixable, but a fresh install without the miniport IDE drivers will fix it for sure.

[B]Hmmmmm…
Is this your board?

Shouldn’t be 4 channels showing, so maybe uninstall the whole mess and reboot again. Somebody with a KT400 board and VIA miniport drivers needs to jump in here.
I think this is fixable, but a fresh install without the miniport IDE drivers will fix it for sure. [/B]
Hmm it sounds like it might be a fun weekend up ahead of reinstalling windows. Thanks for the help! At least I’m gathering that it’s (hopefully) not a hardware problem as much as a probable driver conflict.

If you don’t have a RAID controller or PCI card controller installed, then something is very messed up. It’s no wonder it wouldn’t burn. I still say it’s fixable, but all the IDE controller drivers will need to get re-installed with MS defaults.
Re-install looks better and better, but what ever you do, back up all importand data before doing ANYTHING! :sad:

Originally posted by GoSMSciJCL
Hmm it sounds like it might be a fun weekend up ahead of reinstalling windows. Thanks for the help! At least I’m gathering that it’s (hopefully) not a hardware problem as much as a probable driver conflict.

when you do get it all installed and WORKING, invest in a drive imaging program and save a complete image, only takes a few minutes to restore an image.