Newbie firmware troubles

hey guys…new to posting but ive been a lurker for sometime. absolutely brilliant forum btw. :bow:

anyways finally got my 3500 and am having trouble upgrading the fw. i tried using NECwinflash to up the fw to liggy’s beta8…however when i initiate the flash process, winflash just hangs. i’ve also gone the win32 route and again when i start the process after the disclaimer…it just hangs. :a

anyone have insight on what the problem is or what i am doing wrong?

i appreciate the help

sun

Make sure the drive does not contain a disc.
Make sure to close all CD/DVD apps such as Kprobe, DVDIdentifier, etc.

If you still can’t flash in Windows, use the DOS flasher. http://tdb.rpc1.org

Yo-

You can also do it within windows with a “winrar” or “zip7” program - do a google search to find one - install it - and then click on the firmware .rar and the flashing firmware should be there - remember to reboot your computer after flashing-

Mike

i tried nec3x00a but no dice. the process didn’t hang but after reboot…fw remained @ 2.16

anyone have any idea y this is happening?

btw…using winflash, how long does the flash process last? mine goes halfway and hangs there.

Enigmal,

Are you connected through an external enclosure?

no…standard internal fare.

btw as a point of reference…i was able to flash from 2.16 to 2.17 official fw

sun

No clue on what the problem is. I flashed my drive 2.c8 se with winflash and it only took a couple of seconds via IDE. Maybe someone else will have some ideas for you good luck.

What should the steps be if your flashing to an external enclosure. I know the device MUST be connected to the USB2 port. Anything else??

Crea,

Yes connected through a USB2 or Firewire port. However, most recommend flashing through the IDE port. I had the exact same issues with the winflash hanging when I tried to flash my drive through Firewire but flashed through the IDE fine. I am not sure if I had too many programs opened at the time or not which caused the hang up but after searching the forums I found that most recommend to flash through IDE.

It depends on what chip is used to convert IDE to USB/Firewire. Some don’t let the necessary commands pass through.

dondulah, I ONLY have a laptop computer at this moment so flashing thru the IDE port is out of the question. I’ll give the USB2/Firewire ports a try if I decide to flash the drive.

liggy, I’ll be getting this enclosure here which Netslider said was really good. It’s a USB2/FW combo that uses the Prolific PL-3507 Chipset for both. The company who mfgs this enclsosure is US Micro Labs. Do you think flashing is possible w/o problems is possible thru this chipset or no?

I don’t know any of these external enclosures, so I really can’t say if they will be OK for you. We have a “Lindy” enclosure for our 2500 at work. It has an ALI chipset and flashing worked fine. That’s all I know about enclosures