Newbie confused about Verbatim

vbimport

I recently purchased an external DVD burner which supports DL.

I first purchased a spindle of TDK DVD+R DL and they were not compatible with my LG. So I then purchased Verbatim DVD+R DL which LG recommended and they have been working fine so far.

My confusion is about where they come from. I read that the ones to get are from Singapore and to avoid those manufactured in India.

But Amazon.com does not state the origin. I have looked at my spindle and nowhere is it stated where they came from.

But the bottom line is that I have had zero coasters so far with them. So should I worry about where they came from?

If you’ve had zero coasters, I wouldn’t worry :slight_smile:

It’s generally recommended to buy the Singapore ones if you can, but recent scans from another user suggest that the India-made ones are improving.

However I am surprised the packaging doesn’t say where they were made, Verbatim discs usually do…

If they’re sold in the USA, they always list the country of manufacture. It’s required by law.

On my 15 packs of 8x Verbatim +R DL, it’s in the column to the left of the bar code (new type packaging).

[QUOTE=anonabcd;2102888]If they’re sold in the USA, they always list the country of manufacture. It’s required by law.

On my 15 packs of 8x Verbatim +R DL, it’s in the column to the left of the bar code (new type packaging).[/QUOTE]

If this information only appears on the outer wrapping, then I have no way of knowing since I threw it away after opening and did not think to look for the country of manufacture.

My spindle now is only clear plastic with the round paper cover protecting the discs.

I’ll be ordering another spindle soon from Amazon and will remember to check. But anyway, I have yet to have a coaster after burning over 15 DVD+R DLs. And LG recommends Verbatim. They must know they are now mostly manufactured in India.

FYI, I recently received some verbatim DVD+RW in jewel cases from Amazon and they were manufactured in Taiwan.

Look around the center of the disc. In the clear part of the hub [not in the part near the dye], there should be an etched or printed code. What does the code say?

[QUOTE=Albert;2102906]Look around the center of the disc. In the clear part of the hub [not in the part near the dye], there should be an etched or printed code. What does the code say?[/QUOTE]

Albert:

I am not a youngster and my eyesight is not what it used to be. I cannot make out what that code says. Sorry.

Regarding LG drives, mine have always gotten along with most MBIL-made media.

:slight_smile:

[quote=captainvideo;2102905]If this information only appears on the outer wrapping, then I have no way of knowing since I threw it away after opening and did not think to look for the country of manufacture.[/quote]All the made in India Verbatims I’ve bought came in cakeboxes that had a raised flat rim around the top that’s about ¼" across. Those made in Singapore have had a thin and taller rim. But I haven’t bought any Verbie MII DL discs, so I can’t say for sure they follow that wider flat rim top rule.

Just received another 20 disk Verbatim 2.4 DVD+R DL spindle from Amazon.com and, thankfully, they were MIS.

But there is no way to tell this from their website and a phone call to amazon was of no help.

I have to assume that all three Verbatim spindles I purchased from Amazon so far were MIS since I have not had a single coaster yet.

But going forward, I would feel more comfortable knowing in advance the country of origin.

This is all the information amazon provides:

[B]Product Features[/B]
8.5 Gbyte’s of storage capacity on a single-sided disc. No need to flip the disc
Largest compatible DVD back-up and data archiving format for computer drives.
Record 4 hours of DVD quality television and video (16 hours of VHS quality, Capacity of up to 12 CD’s)
Supported by high speed Double Layer writers, up to 8X, burn 8.5GB in approximately 15 minutes or less.
Compatible with DVD+R DL drives from Sony, Philips, Lite On and other leading manufactures. Ideal for archiving home movies

[B]Technical Details [/B]Brand Name: Verbatim
Model: 95310
removable_storage: DVD+R DL Unknown modifier
Removable Storage Native Capacity: 8.5 GB
Write Speed: 2.4x
media_type: disc Unknown modifier
Size Name: 8.5GB DVD+R

If anyone here can tell me what to look for which can give me a clue as to the country of origin, I would greatly appreciate it.

Hi captainvdeo:

Take a look at these threads (Kudos to Negritude) and while they focus on SL Verbatims (not DL), you will get an appreciation for the difficulties in identifying country of origin, especially by a picture.

Bottom line: I don’t think you can expect Amazon (or most retailers) to make sure the picture in their ad matches the country of origin of the product.

[B]Verbatim: different package design, different discs?[/B]

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f33/verbatim-different-package-design-different-discs-249238/

[B]Let’s Go Over This Again: Identifying Neo-Verbatim Media[/B]

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f33/lets-go-over-again-identifying-neo-verbatim-media-233102/