Newbie CD Printer Question for MAC

Hello,

I am new to the forum and am wanting to purchase a printer for CDR’s.I will be using these to primarily self release music recordings, so I am looking for a professional look and feel, but am also not wanting to break the bank.I am also using a Mac which seems to eliminate most cheap thermal printer options.In most cases I won’t be printing tons of color.A thermal printer that prints black only would suffice, but have not had much luck for Mac.I have been scanning the web for inkjet printers and had a few questions.I would like to use MAM-A/Mitsui silver printable discs if using an inkjet, but was curious of the smudge issue with inkjet printers if the discs are not waterproof or aquashield discs? I do not really want to use the white discs and it seems that the only waterproof discs I have found are white.I would like to know if anyone has a good recommendation for a printer and if anyone has good luck printing non waterproof discs as far as smudge etc it concerned. Surely there are others out there self releasing music, what are you guys using?

I greatly appreciate any info on this topic…
thanks again,
Todd

The Canon inks seem to have the least smudge problems on printable discs.

there’s also a new Watershield silver CDR coming out in the next month or so, it will be shiny silver and fairly smudge proof. No word yet on DVDs of the same type.

there is a Mac driver and software available for the Canon disc printing, and printer drivers for Mac and Linux.

cool…I just noticed the Silver waterproof discs were coming out which is great…does anyone use the NON waterproof discs?..just the silver or whites?..do those smudge pretty easily or do you have to work at it?It seems that the Canon printers seem to get better reviews than the Epsons around the forums…at this point am looking at the ip4500…is that a pretty decent model?..i found a guy from San Fran on Ebay who sells the CD tray and has a pretty good description of enabling it etc…

thanks,
Todd

The SanFran supplier is a good one for trays, it’s a genuine Canon tray. Also comes with a CD full of instructions.

The standard TY silver printable discs are reasonably smudge-proof, but not moisture resistant. So a dry finger won’t smudge it, but a wet one will. The Epson inks are a lot easier to smudge on discs of all types.

It’s hard to argue with a cheap, multi-talented printer like the IP4500. Here’s an open box for less than the ink tanks would cost at retail

Personally, I’d stay away from any printable discs other than TY and Verbatim. The rest may have good printing surfaces, but the media sucks for burn quality and reliability.

[QUOTE=CDan;2128176]The SanFran supplier is a good one for trays, it’s a genuine Canon tray. Also comes with a CD full of instructions.

The standard TY silver printable discs are reasonably smudge-proof, but not moisture resistant. So a dry finger won’t smudge it, but a wet one will. The Epson inks are a lot easier to smudge on discs of all types.

It’s hard to argue with a cheap, multi-talented printer like the IP4500. Here’s an open box for less than the ink tanks would cost at retail

Personally, I’d stay away from any printable discs other than TY and Verbatim. The rest may have good printing surfaces, but the media sucks for burn quality and reliability.[/QUOTE]
Nothing personal but I beg to differ. I have printable Maxall MIJ and Maxall CMC and the scans are nice. As far as longevity is concerned I don’t know. I’ve only been burning discs for 11 or so years, though. And, printing for one year or so. Outa a couple three thousand discs or so, I’ve lost a few. I will elaborate if necessary. BUT please, trust me. Another impotent note:) I have only printed on Verbatim, TY, and Maxall. (Oh yeah, and Memorex CD-R’s too. But, they won’t play in my set top DVR. They play in my Sony CD changer though.)