Newbie...Can't get CloneCD or CDRWIN to work properly

vbimport

OK, I’m going crazy here!!! Finally bought a burner for the sole purpose of backing up games. Did all the research before hand and found the best deal on a burner that was Fully Supported by CloneCD. The Creative 12/10/32.

CD-RW 121032 (Atapi)
Buffer Underrun: Yes (BurnProof)
Best Supported Write Mode: RAW-DAO 96
Best Supported Read Mode for Data: RAW+96
Best Supported Read Mode for Audio: RAW+96

Got it new, dirt cheap. I’m using CloneCD 3.0.0.9 fully registered. I also got the CloneCD Games Database.

I am using the burner as both my read and write drive.
Here is what CloneCD reports on the drive:

[b]CD-READER
Device Capabilities:
Note: This information is provided by the unit, it might be inaccurate. CloneCD does not use this information!
Manufacturer: CREATIVE
Product: CD-RW RW1210E
Revision: LCS6
Can read CD-R Discs: Yes
Can read CD-RW Discs: Yes
Can read DVD Discs: No
Can read MultiSession Discs: Yes
Can read Digital Audio Discs: Yes
Digital Audio Data is accurate: Yes
Can read CD-Text: Yes
Can write CD-R Discs: Yes
Can write CD-RW Discs: Yes
Compatible with CloneCD RAW-DAO: Yes
Compatible with CloneCD RAW-DAO Write Simulation: Yes
Supports writing of CD+G RAW-DAO: Yes
Compatible with CloneCD RAW-SAO: Yes
Compatible with CloneCD RAW-SAO Write Simulation: Yes
Supports Burn Proof / Just Link: Yes

Info on inserted Disc:
Number of sessions: 1
Number of Data Tracks: 1
Number of Audio Tracks: 0
Size used on Disc: 490993 kBytes
Sectors: 213766
Time: 47:30:16 (Min:Sec:Fra)

Info on Session 1:
Size used in Session: 490993 kBytes
Number of Tracks: 1
Track 1: Data Mode 2, Size: 490993 kBytes

CD-WRITER:
Info on CDWriter:
Manufacturer: CREATIVE
Product: CD-RW RW1210E
Revision: LCS6

Device Capabilities:
Note: This information is provided by the unit, it might be inaccurate. CloneCD does not use this information!
Can write CD-R Discs: Yes
Can write CD-RW Discs: Yes
Compatible with CloneCD RAW-DAO: Yes
Compatible with CloneCD RAW-DAO Write Simulation: Yes
Supports writing of CD+G RAW-DAO: Yes
Compatible with CloneCD RAW-SAO: Yes
Compatible with CloneCD RAW-SAO Write Simulation: Yes
Supports Burn Proof / Just Link: Yes[/b]

My problem is I cannot back up any copyrighted games. Trying to back up ONI and MDK2. I’ve made about 7 coasters so far. I’ve tried the settings suggested by CD Database and others I’ve seen elsewhere. Nothing works.
When I read the disc, I’ve tried reading at Max and at 1X. When I write the disc I’ve tried it at Max and at 1X. I am able to burn non-copy proctected discs and data discs with no problems. I am using Maxell Black CD-R 80min/700mb rated at 16X.

Please help me. What am I doing wrong? Is it a problem with my burner? Any suggestions would be appreciated…
THANKS

P.S. On a side note, I also can’t get CDRWIN to work. I’ve installed the ASPI drivers. It will detect my burner as the Reading device, but not as the Writing device. Using version 3.8D fully registered. Any help with this would be appreciated as well.

OK, I noticed when looking at the specs that the drive is reported as a 1210E, not a 121032. Looking at the compatibility list for CloneCD and I noticed that the Burn Proof on the 1210E will not work with RAW writes. I set the write mode to SAO and I was able to copy ONI. My question now is, what is the difference between RAW writing and SAO writing? Are there any advantages of one over the other? I was able to copy this disc but will there be others that I cannot copy without RAW writing? Should I just take this drive back and get something else? If so, can anyone suggest a drive for around $150 that is fully compatible with CloneCD and at least 12X? Sorry for all the questions. Any help will be appreciated…

THANKS

well, after a little research i figured it out. i thought i was getting the 121032 model which is a repackaged Plextor drive. turns out i got a 1210E which is a repackaged LiteON. i’ve already boxed it up and it’s going back to Office Depot tomorrow. i just placed an order for an AOpen 1232A. got it for $119. it should work fine.

lol, a one man conversation.
Congrats with figuring it out