Newbie bought lite-on20A1H

I purchased and installed a lite-on dvd/cd LH20A1H which after insatalling could only get out of my devise manager that it could not start [error 10]… waz up with that… This should be a plig and play no brainer I would think…Or am I as dumb as I look?:confused:

Well, this newb is one lost soul.I purchased a lite-on LH-20A1H and installed it in the box, it did not come with any driver disk etc…just the piece. Now give me the bad news, what do I need to make the thing work… all I get is "the devise wont start [error 10]???

In addition it was a ligit purchase from newegg, I’m just not up on what I need

[B]@edian:[/B] I have moved your cross-posts and combined them here. Please let’s stick with one thread and don’t create any more.

With the original problem… what is your Windows version and hardware basic details (RAM, processor, etc)?

Welcome!

Here’s the system, sorry so many threads.
System Overview / ComparisonYour SystemResultsGame RequirementsOperating SystemMicrosoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)[B]Pass[/B]Windows XPSystem Memory384.5[B]Fail[/B]512.0Processor Speed1177.7[B]Fail[/B]1700 Mhz (1.7 GHz)DirectX Version9.0c[B]Pass[/B]9.0cDisplay DeviceNVIDIA GeForce FX 5200Unknown CompatibilityDisplay Memory128.0[B]Pass[/B]128.0Display Driver6.14.10.7801Unknown CompatibilitySound DeviceC-Media Wave Device[B]Pass[/B]Sound Driver5.12.01.0049Unknown CompatibilityOperating System Information[B]Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)[/B]

Internet Explorer InformationVersion 7.00.5730.0011System Device InformationProcessor[B]AMD AMD Athlon™ 1177.7 Mhz[/B]

MemorySystem Total 384.5Virtual Total 2047.9Pagefile Total 922.3 [B]Snapshot[/B]

System Available 282.8Virtual Available 1995.6Pagefile Available 756.9Monitor InformationMonitor Name Plug and Play MonitorRefresh Rate 60 HzNetwork Card InformationName VIA PCI 10/100Mb Fast Ethernet Adapter - Packet Scheduler MiniportIP Address 0.0.0.0Subnet Mask 0.0.0.0Gateway Primary WINS Server N/ADHCP 63.67.120.2System Device InformationBackground Processes InformationProcess Name [System Process]Process Name SystemProcess Name smss.exeProcess Name csrss.exeProcess Name winlogon.exeProcess Name services.exeProcess Name lsass.exeProcess Name svchost.exeProcess Name svchost.exeProcess Name svchost.exeProcess Name svchost.exeProcess Name svchost.exeProcess Name spoolsv.exeProcess Name nvsvc32.exeProcess Name HPZipm12.exeProcess Name svchost.exeProcess Name wdfmgr.exeProcess Name ViewpointService.exeProcess Name alg.exeProcess Name ViewMgr.exeProcess Name explorer.exeProcess Name realsched.exeProcess Name jusched.exeProcess Name hpwuSchd2.exeProcess Name rundll32.exeProcess Name PDVDServ.exeProcess Name iTunesHelper.exeProcess Name qttask.exeProcess Name rundll32.exeProcess Name rundll32.exeProcess Name msmsgs.exeProcess Name ctfmon.exeProcess Name hpqtra08.exeProcess Name iPodService.exeProcess Name hpqste08.exeProcess Name Autorun.exeProcess Name EasyInfo.exeProcess Name wmiprvse.exeMedia Device InformationMass Storage DevicesType RemovableFile System N/ATotal Space 0 BytesFree Space 0 BytesMass Storage DevicesType CD / DVD DriveFile System CDFSTotal Space 700.0 MBFree Space 0 BytesMass Storage DevicesType CD / DVD DriveFile System N/ATotal Space 0 BytesFree Space 0 BytesMass Storage DevicesType FixedFile System NTFSTotal Space 74.5 GBFree Space 50.1 GBDirectX InformationVersion 9.0cLong Version 4.09.0000.0904Display Device (Primary Only)[B]NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200[/B]

[B]Device[/B]

Description NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200Manufacturer NVIDIA CorporationGUID D7B71E3E-4062-11CF-E877-03110EC2CD35 [B]Driver[/B]

Version 6.14.10.7801Module nv4_disp.dllDate 8-2-2005 [B]Memory[/B]

Local 128.0Local 121.6Non-Local 57.0Texture 178.6Sound Device (Primary Only)[B]C-Media Wave Device[/B]

[B]Device[/B]

Description C-Media Wave DeviceManufacturer C-Media IncGUID BD6DD71A-3DEB-11D1-B171-00C04FC20001 [B]Driver[/B]

Version 5.12.01.0049Module cmuda.sysDate 5-12-2005 [B]Capabilities[/B]

Max 3D Buffers 33Supports Mono Output TrueSupports Stereo Output True

[QUOTE=edian;1955991]I purchased and installed a lite-on dvd/cd LH20A1H which after insatalling could only get out of my devise manager that it could not start [error 10]… waz up with that… This should be a plig and play no brainer I would think…Or am I as dumb as I look?:confused:[/QUOTE]

So how do you have the 20A1H jumper settings and on which IDE connector do you have it connected to? What firmware is your 20A1H? When you right click on My computer and go to device manager what does it show for your DMA or PIO settings? And when do you get the error message during startup or when windows is up and running? Have you tried to from properties menu uninstall the driver and device and restart your computer??

Here what I could find a copy of what Microsoft says about error code 10 might or might not be related to you problem device…

Code 10
If the device has a “FailReasonString” value in its hardware key, that string is displayed as the error message. The driver or enumerator places this registry string value there. If there is no “FailReasonString” in the hardware key, the following generic error message is displayed:
This device is either not present, not working properly, or does not have all the drivers installed. (Code 10)

Try upgrading the device drivers for this device.

Solution button: Update Driver

To resolve this error code, make sure the device is connected to the computer correctly. For example, make sure all cables are plugged in fully and that all adapter cards are properly seated. Follow the suggested solution button and update the device driver. It may be possible to remove the device and redetect it using the Add New Hardware wizard.

Coolcolors, thx so much in my rush to success I failed to check my jumper. That was the problem. Thx again for not being hard on this poor newb…:clap:

NP, good to know the fix turned out to be a fairly simple solution for your drive. Good luck in the future burning your drive in.