Newbie- 2 scans with kprobe(same disk)

Hi there,

I’m new and I was wondering what the difference is between this 2 Kprobe scans(same disk) at different reading speeds?
I understand it is a maginal disk, but how do I know at wich speed I should test it.The one is very bad and the other is allright.I have similar results with other brands as well.

you can see the difference here

Burned with LDW-411s(external)f/w FSOH at 2x.

Media Information
Disc Regions are 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8
Media code/Manufacturer ID VDSPMSAB 01
Format Type UDF 1.02
Volume Name XXX
Application id
Implementation id AHEAD Nero
Recording Date/Time (mm/dd/yyyy) 2/14/2004 16:51:23
Format Capacity 4.36GB(4.68GB)
Book Type DVD-R
Media Type DVD-R
Media Id Code Speed Unknown
Available Write Descriptor CLV 4.0x 5540KBps
Available Write Descriptor CLV 2.0x 2770KBps
Write Strategy Speed 4.0x 5540KBps

Mikeydee has attached this image:

here is the other scan at 4 CLV (same disk)

It makes no difference what speed you scan at, as long as you always use the same speed when comparing discs.

Thanks a lot.

But how can I interpret these scans?
I mean if I go for the one scaned at 2x then my disk should be good enough.
But if I go for the one scaned at 4x then my disks are crap and I should buy other ones.

Does somebody knows what to do??

Both scans are “correct” in that they reflect how well the disc is reading at that speed. You won’t see this much variation on a really good burn, but if the disc works as required, don’t worry too much about it.

The disks do work very well on most dvd players I tried it.
So I think I will stick with these disks.

Thanks again for the information.

All you need to do is that kprobe non-working disc in your DVD-ROM drive or DVD player. Compared those discs with a good working disc and see how much is the difference. Use these data and try to find a good acceptable range for you.

In future, when you switch DVD-media/change burning speed, you can kprobe this disc to see if it will work or not in your system. Instead of having to actually watch the whole movie (in case of DVD-Video) or scan every single data discs.

The guideline’s 280/32 number are only good when your equipment is aligned perfectly as standard required.