Newb needs help

vbimport

Ok I got the software, now after I rip the dvd to the hard drive, how do I play it? I’m using Windows Vista Ultimate and I want to play it using Media Center… and help would be great!

What software did you use to rip it? what is the file extension of the output?

DVD Fab Plat, I’m saving it to my Desktop

Sorry do not have a rig running vistas media center right now, maybe Stromjumper will peek in. If not give me time to set up vista and see.

If you want to play it with WMC burn to disc

shit… I cant play it form my hard drive… what software would I need to do that

Thanks for the input Stormjumper, did not know if vista would just play the file.

[QUOTE=tgidday;2007868]Thanks for the input Stormjumper, did not know if vista would just play the file.[/QUOTE]

No sir, no can do…AFAIK anyway

[QUOTE=BRam03;2007867]shit… I cant play it form my hard drive… what software would I need to do that[/QUOTE]

Can use VLC it is free, my good friend Maineman has a link in his signature just find a post of his

ok let me ask that a difftent way…

what software do I need to rip the DVD to the hard drive and have it run with media center

video file types supported in Windows Media Center.

Windows Media file .wm and .asf

Windows Media Video file .wmv

Windows video file .avi

Microsoft Recorded TV Show file .dvr-ms

Movie file .mpeg, .mpg, .mpe, .m1v, .mp2, and .mpv2

what software do I need to rip the DVD to the hard drive and have it run with media center

dvdfab platinum

:frowning: but thats the one I have and it does not work…

am I doing something wrong?

use the dvd to mobile options. id try xbox 360 first. i know there are other members who use dvdfab to play streaming video with wmc.

maybe someone will come in and give you a profile which they have customized. :slight_smile:

insert your dvd, open dvdfab, select xbox 360, choose the titles you want to backup, click next then click configure, select the file size you want to create, select the frame resolution (be sure bits/pixel is above .200, this will change by adjusting file size), adjust volume to 200%, click ok and click start

[QUOTE=BRam03;2007898]:frowning: but thats the one I have and it does not work…

am I doing something wrong?[/QUOTE]

We are totally confused by your posts.

1. If you have ripped the DVD to a folder or ISO file (Full Disk or Main Movie), you will need something like VLC to either play from the ISO or play from the folder.

2. If you have used DVD to Mobile to encode an AVI, you should be able to play it with Windows Media Player. Use the generic.xvid.avi.audiocopy profile. You may need the FFDShow/AC3 Filters installed to output Dolby Digital 5.1 sound from your computer.

thanks buddy, I try that tomorrow… I’ll be back then with more problems :doh:

I don’t have vista, yet - this is one of the “features” that has put me off - but yould powerDvd & WInDVD work in Vista as they do in XP i.e. let you open and play a dvd folder on hard drive ? also, which versions of those programs are vista compatible ?

[QUOTE=cybmole;2007962]I don’t have vista, yet - this is one of the “features” that has put me off - but yould powerDvd & WInDVD work in Vista as they do in XP i.e. let you open and play a dvd folder on hard drive ? also, which versions of those programs are vista compatible ?[/QUOTE]

Yes you can open and play from the DVD Files on Vista …I do it all the time
if you do get Vista dont go with the Home Version your access is limited and you do not have access to any policies like Security or users and group

Just a heads up for you