New, with lots of recording questions...please help!

vbimport

[/U]][/B] how do I ask a question at CD Freaks?

here is my question!

I have a Sony 32S16, analog TV. this TV has PIP, and is 13 years old.

I also have a Tivax T9 converter box attached to my TV .

1. WHAT DO I NEED TO RECORD ALL DIGITAL CHANNELS FROM MY TV?
  2. WHAT DO I NEED TO RECORD IN THE BLU-RAY FORMAT?
  3. WHAT DO I NEED TO RECORD CDS AND DVDS?
  4. WHAT DO I NEED TO PLAYBACK ALL OF THE ABOVE IN THE BLU-RAY FORMAT?

THANK YOU VERY MUCH IF YOU CAN HELP ME TO KNOW WHAT TO BUY!

PRICE IS A DEFENITE CONSERATION!

candymanw@yahoo.com

First off, your Tivax T9 digital to analog converter only outputs in 480i, which is standard definition. You can receive digital signals with it, but you can’t record high definition from it. The digital signals will be converted to analog and you should be able to record from that signal in standard definition with many different types of devices…vhs tape, dvd recorders, computer capture cards all should work with that output.

To record digital HD channels you would need a receiver capable of HD resolution output. Most of those will be 720p, and I don’t believe any over the air signals in the US are 1080p anyway. An example would be something like this Samsung: http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-DTBH260F-HDTV-Terrestrial-Receiver/dp/B000JV6TQY You would need a HD capable TV to take advantage of these high definition signals however.

You can also get HD capture cards for over the air transmissions for your computer.

Recording to Blu Ray format gets complicated in a hurry. You can use dedicated software and hardware just for Blu Ray…like this one from LG: http://www.amazon.com/LG-GGW-H20L-Super-Multi-Blue/dp/B000Y1AFCS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=pc&qid=1218310477&sr=1-1
and software from Cyberlink, Sony, Ulead or others to author the Blu Ray disks.

It is possible to produce HD video on dvds and play them on Blu Ray players, but too complicated to outline here. Look it up at doom9.net, videohelp.com, avsforums or afterdawn.

Your biggest problem is the fact you do not have a tv set capable of playing back high definition content. It was made for 480i resolution. If you want to watch HD tv and Blu Ray video, you’ll have to upgrade your set first.

Kerry thank you for your response to my questions!

as I understnad it, I can still play Blu-ray and record Blu-ray with a
480 definition tv. I dont need a HD television to do this.

Am I not correct? I don’t know, but it seems to me that I
should be able to split my RF signal to my recorder, then split my
signal from my recorder to my T9 converter box and record and play-back all digital channels on my 480 tv.

if I have a recorder that will record cds and dvds and Blu-ray then
why can’t I play each one of these thur my split signal into my T9
converter box?
candymanw@yahoo.com

1. WHAT DO I NEED TO RECORD IN THE BLU-RAY FORMAT?

A large bag full of cash.

1. WHAT DO I NEED TO PLAYBACK ALL OF THE ABOVE IN THE BLU-RAY FORMAT?

You need a shiny new TV with HDMI. I recommend a Panasonic plasma. :cool:

You may be able to play video from the blu ray player on a standard def tv, but you will be spinning your wheels needlessly. You will not see anything better than what you get normally from a regular dvd player. And there is no guarantee that it will work.

If you input the over-the-air digital signals directly to your recorder, the recorder must have an ATSC receiver in it to do anything with these transmissions! The whole point of the T9 is to convert digital signals to analog for your standard def equipment.