New Web image format includes DRM, allowing photo expiration

vbimport

New Web image format includes DRM, allowing photo expiration.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/2011/01/AYY87A.png[/newsimage]German researchers have created a new software technology giving content creators the chance to encrypt images with an expiration date. The X-Pire software is expected for release later this month, with a 2 euro monthly charge for Internet users that want to be able to configure images to auto purge.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/new-web-image-format-includes-drm-allowing-photo-expiration-39226/](http://www.myce.com/news/new-web-image-format-includes-drm-allowing-photo-expiration-39226/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

An easier way would to just not post stupid photo’s of yourself, and stop tagging photo’s of everyone … and better yet, stop putting lots of personal details into facebook and granting every application full access to your personal details.

Print to PDF at 2400 DPI. Take a screen shot and it is yours. These guys are kidding right?

Unfortunately this “great” idea is supported by German government :eek:
Good thing is, this is not a free service, so it will die very early :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=rla;2571868] These guys are kidding right?[/QUOTE]No, they are just clueless. Or perhaps just another example of lobbyism.

Michael

Even better, stay as far away from Facebook as you can !

[QUOTE=rla;2571868]Print to PDF at 2400 DPI. Take a screen shot and it is yours. These guys are kidding right?[/QUOTE]

Like this “can’t” be hacked? I don’t think it will take too long for this to implode. Nice idea, poor execution IMO.

Your workaround is probably the best way to circumvent the expiry date in the metadata. I wonder what happens when app developers write free conversion software to rip it into any other format than the DRM version?

@Debro

I think this is targeted for people who are pro photographers that post their works on flickr and/ or facebook to keep people from right clicking and stealing pics. I think they would still keep on watermarking their stuff or posting low res examples like they already do. This is vaporware. It will die soon.

Move along. Nothing to see. :slight_smile:

Or they could simply join DeviantART and charge for whatever reproductions people choose to buy…

[QUOTE=DOS_equis;2571959]
I think this is targeted for people who are pro photographers that post their works on flickr and/ or facebook to keep people from right clicking and stealing pics. [/quote]No, it is not.
It is advertised as “digital eraser” targeted to those who uploaded their pictures to $social_network and regret it later. Sponsored by government politicians that have just learned how to click the “blue e” on their desktop.

Move along. Nothing to see. :slight_smile:
Good idea.

Michael

I wouldn’t be surprised if Malware creators exploit this since most people don’t yet have this plug-in. I.e. someone lands on a page with images they would like to see and have to download and install this browser add-on, but instead of getting the plug-in, they end up installing a piece of Malware.

As for the people who upload their pictures without thinking about the consequences, how likely are they to think of using this add-on, let alone pay for it?

Also, those who want to save an image will quickly realise something is not right when they try opening it outside the browser and decide to resort to the print-screen trick.

It’s a total waste, it can be read about it in the new issue of the german c’t released tomorrow. :wink:

Mrs Aigner is so proud about that waste, LOL. :frowning:

You don’t need the pdf print step. Don’t you have an “Prt Sc” key in your keyboard?
Maybe not in germany… I never saw a German keyboard.

German keyboards have a PrtSc key also. Don’t worry :smiley:

Michael

I was being ironic…