New way of Protecting DVD's

vbimport

Well, it’s kind of a protection, but not really, although maybe they will implement this.

Basically, here is the deal, you buy a normal DVD movie, you buy it really cheap, like a dollar or two, and you get to watch it, then it expires after 2 days, by the bottom turning black. While it is red, it is watchable, but onc eblack, its not longer good.

I just got one as a gift from a co-worker, so I can’t wait for mine to go black to mess with it. Anyway, thought you all might enjoy reading this, its an interesting concept.

http://www.flexplay.com/

These are old. The new idea is to release the DVD at the same time the movie is in the theater. That was a first this year with “Noel”. If you look at it as an option to waiting 6 months for the rental or going to the theater, it makes sense. If you look at it a competition to regular DVDs it doesn’t.

but you can still copy them tho?

\\VH////
:confused:

I am sure its beatable, I mean if you can read it you can copy it, so its definitley prone to defeat within the first 2 days anyway.

I just thought it was interesting so I shared it here.

They can be backed up as can any DVD. They also tend to last well more than 2 days.

Hmm seems like a interesting way of doing rentals, except it will probably be a lot more expensive?

Well, its been 3 days, and I am still able to play it on my DVD-ROM, will wait till tomorrow and try it again, as well as on a stand alone. Although the center is black at this point, yet it still plays.

This didn’t work . It was called the orginal DIVX. They were sold at circuit city. They had a few good movies on them. They expired after 4 to 6 days.

They never worked because they “expired” . Why buy something that expires. If you want to watch it later.

I have a freind that has the orginal divx movies . Waterboy has 4 uses left on it. hehehe

Almost 5 yrs later.

Remember this is divx not the codec divx tm… hahhahaha