NEW Video Card?

i need to buy a new video card for work. so what specs should i be looking at for the new card? which are the most important and what would good specs be considered for graphics & video editing (with a little 3d & gaming thrown in for good measure)?

Core clock ?
Memory Clock ?
Memory Size ?
Memory Interface Bitrate ?
Memory Type ?
DirectX ?
RAMDAC ?

Thanks in advance!

[QUOTE=uronmy49311;1945715]i need to buy a new video card for work. so what specs should i be looking at for the new card? which are the most important and what would good specs be considered for graphics & video editing (with a little 3d & gaming thrown in for good measure)?

Core clock ?
Memory Clock ?
Memory Size ?
Memory Interface Bitrate ?
Memory Type ?
DirectX ?
RAMDAC ?

Thanks in advance![/QUOTE]

First off what kinda motherboard do you have ?? Does it have AGP or PCI-E?? Also how much do you plan on spending meaning are you a Hardcore Gamers, Multimedia, CAD…or something requiring high resolution or else meaning to clarify what is your price range your looking for to spend on the GPU card?? All those you meantioned only matter alot to hardcore gamers looking for speed and resolution at the high end. But what kinda 3D games are you referring to those requiring Directx 10 or Directx 9?? Also you have to make sure you have a Fast CPU and at least 1-2 GB RAM for your system and as last but not to forget a GOOD PS with enough power for your motherboard and accessories but also the high end GPU requires extra power from the PS and if you go SLI mode make sure it has at least two connectors specific for the two GPU cards. So there are more factors to consider when your deciding to. I mentioned this not to confuse you but as a gamer myself, I found the CPU, Memory, Motherboard, PS, and GPU setup makes a difference in system performance overall. But what do you mean video card for work? What kinda applications are you using and what type of 3D games are you referring to?? Just giving you some advance info as to what you might or might not need but to give you some information ahead of time before you go shopping for a new GPU card and anything else you need or need to know…

[QUOTE=coolcolors;1945741]First off what kinda motherboard do you have ?? Does it have AGP or PCI-E?? Also how much do you plan on spending meaning are you a Hardcore Gamers, Multimedia, CAD…or something requiring high resolution or else meaning to clarify what is your price range your looking for to spend on the GPU card?? All those you meantioned only matter alot to hardcore gamers looking for speed and resolution at the high end. But what kinda 3D games are you referring to those requiring Directx 10 or Directx 9?? Also you have to make sure you have a Fast CPU and at least 1-2 GB RAM for your system and as last but not to forget a GOOD PS with enough power for your motherboard and accessories but also the high end GPU requires extra power from the PS and if you go SLI mode make sure it has at least two connectors specific for the two GPU cards. So there are more factors to consider when your deciding to. I mentioned this not to confuse you but as a gamer myself, I found the CPU, Memory, Motherboard, PS, and GPU setup makes a difference in system performance overall. But what do you mean video card for work? What kinda applications are you using and what type of 3D games are you referring to?? Just giving you some advance info as to what you might or might not need but to give you some information ahead of time before you go shopping for a new GPU card and anything else you need or need to know…[/QUOTE]

im running a PCIE. My budget is about $200 give or take a LITTLE. im still running xp so no need for x10 i guess. im looking at doing alot of graphics and video editing (maybe dual monitors). Typical adobe progs, maya (slightly), etc. no sli in my future. im running 2 gb ram, but its on an old dimension 4700 3 ghz. not sure about my power supply tho, it might not have what i need. im running an old geforce 6200 so i know whatever i throw in there is gonna help alot more. hope that helps… thanks.

[QUOTE=uronmy49311;1946351]im running a PCIE. My budget is about $200 give or take a LITTLE. im still running xp so no need for x10 i guess. im looking at doing alot of graphics and video editing (maybe dual monitors). Typical adobe progs, maya (slightly), etc. no sli in my future. im running 2 gb ram, but its on an old dimension 4700 3 ghz. not sure about my power supply tho, it might not have what i need. im running an old geforce 6200 so i know whatever i throw in there is gonna help alot more. hope that helps… thanks.[/QUOTE]

Asrock 939 DualSATA2
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Manchester 1GHz
2 GB 3200DDR
BFG Tech GeForce 7600GT PCIEx16
2 200 GB Hard Drives (Maxtor & WD)
Antec TruePower 2.0 TP2-550Watt
COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UB

Your signature file is this your setup your refering to in upgrading ??? If not can you find the make and model of your motherboard? Cause that information will help in determing what kinda upgrades you can add or do to that motherboard configuration and also then I can lookup the specs on the internet to see what the motherboard look like before giving any advice - which will be my own experinces and opinion from building my own systems.

Buy a used XFX off of EBAY. Get something around the Geforce 7800 GT. Many of the XFX’s have a transferrable warranty, so you can get a bargain, and still have the warranty, just in case there is a problem. If you insist on new, I would look at the Radeon x1800 cards. Good bang for buck, and more than enough for what you intend on doing. I was seriously looking into one myself, when I found my deal on my Geforce 8800 GT which I just got.

If the x1800s are still kind of pricey, you might want to consider one of x800/850’s. All are older cards and many are charging way too much for them but on the 1800’s or the 800/850’s there are occational great bargains to be found. I almost got an x850 xt for 100$ locally (half price) but found that the 2600xt was a better deal for me (because it was for an htpc, its not a beter card overall). That was a few months ago anyway (a lot can change in that time).

I’m no expert on video cards (in fact I like to research all my purchases well but I despise shopping for vid cards, and run older cards due to the frustration of shopping for them), but here is a chart that gives you general overall performance comparisions of most cards (the higher on the list it is, there better overall averaged performance is).

I would use this as a very basic guideline if you are confused by the billion models out there and have no idea how they compare. Once you have narrowed down a few models you like, research them more to see if they fit your needs. Be aware that the extentions (gt etc), and factors like memory speed (ddr2/3/4, 64bit, 128bit, 256 bit) may or may not make a huge diffrence on the same model card (thats why I say, when you narrow it down, research further).
I know that didn’t help a lot (like I said, I’m not a video card expert, in fact I try to avoid shopping for them), but hopefully it helped a little.

Fyi on a side note, there is a formula you can use based on the technology (in nm, pipelines, number of transistors etc) to get a theroretical true estimate of gpu power, but its complex and if you try to do that on several cards (going to have to research to find some of the info). you will go blind and want to shoot yourself.
Its better to decide on a few models of cards, then see if there are any crippled models or faster models (because of memory specs or crippled clock speeds). I have an old 9550 that is 64 bit that can only overclock from around 1800 to 2200, while the 128 bit can overclock from around the same to over 4000 on 3d mark.

Fyi again, this comes form a non serious gamer that hates vid card shopping (its meant to be confusing to make you just spend a lot on the fast cards, that are not really that much beter, except to seriousl gamers). Just my 2 cents worth (I’m sure the gamers have a a few choice words for me and the experts have better or more specific recomendations)). I just hate when people just recomend a card model (and you are thinking why is this card good). Its to complex to easilly explain, and the recomendations are usally right with exceptions. It depends on what you are going to do with the card. Honestly, gaming performance is easy to find out. For graphics and video editing, I would narrow donw to a few cards, then google terms like xxxx (the model) video card review video editing (graphics would hit on anything but you get the idea) and see if you can get a few tests with the software (or similar software) you use.

ok, new plan. i think ive decided to move my home card (BFG 7600GT OC or my older Powercolor x800GT) to my work computer (currently a geforce 6200) and then buy a new one for home…

so, with that said, this is my power supply and my signature NOW refers to the rig this new card will be in. What do you think i should look to get? thanks again in advance! and thanks ripit for the chart… thats good to see! :iagree:

What kind of usage are you going to do on your home computer? Also, are the 7600gt and x800gt both in computers (so when you move one to work, you have to buy another card)? Both of those cards are pretty powerfully so are you wanting to go more powerfull or go to a directx 10 card to play the latest games?

IMO, that nvidia cards still suck too much power for what they offer.

I’d get a 3850 or 3870 for a good price!

[QUOTE=ripit;1948875]What kind of usage are you going to do on your home computer? Also, are the 7600gt and x800gt both in computers (so when you move one to work, you have to buy another card)? Both of those cards are pretty powerfully so are you wanting to go more powerfull or go to a directx 10 card to play the latest games?[/QUOTE]

my home computer is for games, graphics, and video editing too. just not as often as the work one. right now, i have the 7600gt in my home computer, and the x800gt is sitting in a box in my closet unused. So, i would basically take one of those to work, and get a new one to replace my home computer video card.

now, the work computer would not see games at all, just video and graphics editing. So would you think one of my current HOME cards would do fine at work?

Yes. :wink:

Either should be a substantial improvement over what you are using at work now and should work just fine.

cool. thanks for all the help… i’ll let you know if i have any other questions… you guys have been great tho!