I upgraded to the new version, and all went well.. until I rebooted. AnyDVD popped up an error message (I did a screen cap of it but can't see anyway to attach it here). Saying "Failed to read DVD" and then gave all the reasons as to why.
But just prior to dling the new version and installing it, I had been watching the DVD. Just to be sure, I checked: Nope, No damage, no dirt, no smudge. No hardware setting had been changed.
So, just for giggles, I reinstalled the upgrade, rebooted, and the problem mysteriously vanished.
Pent 2.8ghz, 512 megs ram, WinXP, Iomega External DVD player(the drive the DVD was in) Matshita UJ820s DVDRam