New version 98 for 5005--BAD NEWS

vbimport

I loaded the new version of 98 firmware–In short it: increased the the contrast yet even more and reduced the color level and screwed up the focus. But it did balance the tint in the faces of dark people alittle–virually no green now… wow–I believe, I was better off with version 91 or 92 firmware.The drive firmware at first glance seemed the same but it to was different.The new drive firmware works best with 98 firmware and doesn’t self adjust to version 91 because it didn’t operate as smoothly as it did with version 98 firmware. However the new drive firmware was an improvement over the orginal drive firmware installed from the factory–because it seemed to read alittle ahead of time instead of filling temp memory playing off of it and pausing the picture or the sound in the process. All in all, the 5005 needs serious help–perhaps more time they might get a machine to actually be viewable but for know my 5045 is ok but love old VCR far better–then any liteon now produced.

No problems with my LVW 5005 Dec 04 USA machine since the latest upgrade. I read in the post’s that there was another Firmware upgrade to be available this week, but have seen no more about that?? Just another happy camper with my LiteOn now that more of the “Bug’s” have been taken care of.
Regard’s; Pop’s

My picture got better, the color level went up and the colors are more crisp and clearer and I can see no green tint. As far as flashing back to a previous version, many users in the forum have said they have done it. But now maybe at the latest version you can’t. I have no need to flash back to an earlier version I’m happy with the latest and am leaving it unhacked for the moment.

hex, sorry but having same good results as pop’s and jm1647- well at least it sounds 5045 is doing well…

larry3030cd; I went to the LiteOn site just a bit ago and put in my latest internal SN. The site shows this Firmware: LNFA1098.ES5.184x.zip
Usually when you have the latest Firmware, the site will tell us that. That file seems to be the same as the one I downloaded last Monday. Wonder what is up with that??
Pop’s

Pops, starting with this latest firmware update they have done something strange, they did not increment the base number (1098)…therefore the update site is seeing the same serial numbers we put in initially, and thus same update prompt. I don’t know if this intentional as “that’s it folks!” (I know, I saw your post regarding possibly indication of another update), or they just screwed up the number thing…Unless they were to change the serial number input and include the number in “( )”, a user could not really tell…guess we will have to keep checking…only indication otherwise is if a query results in a higher main number (current 1098), or the “ES” number changes.
Larry

larry3030cd; Thanks for the clarification, that is kind of what I had suspected. Hopefully if there is to be another update, it should have some sort of change in the sequence of numbering?? I am still waiting to tinker with the Hack’s, no hurry anyway as I have backed up everything in the house. Just going to do the wait and see for a bit. Thanks and catch ya later.
Pop’s

I’m in there with hex right now! I’m waiting on the news that verbatim got last week about another firmware update out very soon!! It appears to be a love/hate deal depending on what version of the 5005 you got!! Mine is HATE right now!!
had1

The previous 1098 firmware file had an ES3 extension. The documentation circulated stated that it was “Build 98 Patch Level 3”.
The newer 1098 firmware has an ES5. extension. I interpret this as meaning it’s “Build 98 Patch Level 5”. Thus, a VERY minor rev which does not merit a new version number.
The observation that some whites look pinkist on some machines with this new firmware, further supports the idea that this just quick fix with the hue slanted more towards red, to make Cabbage Face less apparent.
If there is a DEFINITIVE firmware rev that addresses this (and, frankly, I doubt it), it will either have to electronically monitor the cause (e.g. the temp of a chip that does ADC and shifts with temperature) or allow manual hue adjustment. If/when THAT ever happens, expect a “real” new version number.

My two cents’ worth.

FWIW I have never noticed Cabbage Face, and thanks to the experiences posed here have not been moved to install 1098 PL5.

[QUOTE=schuster]The previous 1098 firmware file had an ES3 extension. The documentation circulated stated that it was “Build 98 Patch Level 3”.
The newer 1098 firmware has an ES5. extension. I interpret this as meaning it’s “Build 98 Patch Level 5”. Thus, a VERY minor rev which does not merit a new version number.
The observation that some whites look pinkist on some machines with this new firmware, further supports the idea that this just quick fix with the hue slanted more towards red, to make Cabbage Face less apparent.
If there is a DEFINITIVE firmware rev that addresses this (and, frankly, I doubt it), it will either have to electronically monitor the cause (e.g. the temp of a chip that does ADC and shifts with temperature) or allow manual hue adjustment. If/when THAT ever happens, expect a “real” new version number.

My two cents’ worth.[quote]

schuster, makes sense, although I’d love to see the documentation you refer to if you have a source…still, one at this point(if at any level of 0098) will get a update prompt every time even at the latest level, guess we will just have to look at the es(x) for a change until, and if, the main firmware number increments…I agree certainly not a definite on that ever coming!!