New Upgrade

vbimport

Hi guys, want to upgrade my computer with Mother board and CPU, and graphics, What do you recommend, Money ALMOST no problem. also not a Professional or power user, but want to stay with Win 7
TIA

Marty

What are you currently running on? That way we know what constitutes an upgrade. :wink:

You should check on what operating systems will support the latest Intel CPUs as I remember reading somewhere that only Windows 10 will support them in the long run. I would personally buy some variant of the Intel i7 CPU line and would likely make it one of the unlocked “K” versions to enable overclocking. With 4k monitors and TV becoming more prevalent, I would make sure your graphics supports HDMI 2.0 at a minimum for a bit of future proofing. It also wouldn’t hurt if your graphics choice supports the new HEVC codec in hardware and not just software.

Windows 7 sp1,
Intel core I7- 3820 3.6GHZ 10MB LGA2011 PROCESSOR,
Intel DX79TO LGA2011/SATA3&USB3/A&GB ATX MOTHERBOARD,
2 LG WH14NS40 14X SATA BK BLURAY REWRITER
SAMSUNG 2.5 256GB SATA3 SOLID STATE DRIVE,
EVGA GF GTX550 TI 1GB DDR5 GRAPHIC CARD.

This is what I have now.
Thanks Albert and UTR

Marty

If you go for one of the latest platforms, Z170 Skylake (consumer grade) or X99 (workstation class), then you will also require new DDR4 DRAM.

Just something to keep in mind.

Also, if you’re not a serious gamer, then take a look at one of the Nvidia GTX950 cards, they offer all the features that [B]UTR[/B] mentions in his post. The GTX950 also offers low power consumption as well.

You have a very capable system now. To see any kind of improvements, you’d need to build something around the i7 6700k.

Even then you’d need to be doing something really intensive to justify the cost. 3D modeling? H264 or H265 encoding? Cutting edge games?

If you do build something new, I’d go for 16gb of DDR4 ram, a 512gb SSD for the operating system, and at least the video card mentioned by Dee (more if you are looking to run modern games at higher resolutions than 1080p). You didn’t mention your power supply. It comes into play with the more expensive video cards. Seasonic and EVGA are making good psu’s these days.

Thanks DEE thanks Kerry. Since all I really do is minor games like solitier and some slide show presentation, I guess I really don’t need to do anything except go for a bigger HDD and maybe more memory. I think that I will let the pro install the HDD and OS and do all of the Updating of the BIOS and things like that. Just see if I can bring everything up to date.

Thanks all for the info

[QUOTE=Dee;2771139]Also, if you’re not a serious gamer, then take a look at one of the Nvidia GTX950 cards, they offer all the features that [B]UTR[/B] mentions in his post. The GTX950 also offers low power consumption as well.[/QUOTE]

Interesting that you mention the NVIDIA GTX 950. I have the EVGA GTX 950 short cards in my main HTPC and work computer driving an LG 4k monitor via the HDMI port. They are power efficient and run quietly. The one in the HTPC gets by with an Antec 380 Earthwatts PS.